lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-02-2014, 05:21 PM   #1
jsmith6298
Not Yet Wild

Default Elec Club Car has stopped working

I have an elec Club Car that will not work. A few months ago it seemed to not hold a charge as long as it used to. I don't know how old the batteries are. Here's what I have...60V across the pack, with switch on I hear a click when I press the go pedal but no action from the cart in foward or reverse. I also have 60V coming out of the charger "port" on the cart. When I press the pedal the voltage drops to about 20V and recovers to 50V when I release the pedal. No lights. No reverse horn. Charger doesn't seem to work. Usually when I plug it in to charge it clicks and I hear the transformer humming while it charges. It's just dead now. No noise and no output according to the gauge on the front of the charger. A neighbor has suggested replacing the batteries but I'd rather do a test or two before I drop $600 on batteries I don't need.
jsmith6298 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-02-2014, 07:27 PM   #2
scotter
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Elec Club Car has stopped working

What year?
What Model?
What Serial Number?
Look at the Red "Stickies" to help determine this.
Then we might can give you some help.

60V is out of the ordinary, unless cart has been modified.
scotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 07:59 PM   #3
jsmith6298
Not Yet Wild

The only information I can find is the serial number. A9919-762830. No modifications that I know of. Looks like a plain jane golf cart. 6 8V batteries.
Old 07-05-2014, 09:24 PM   #4
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

You likely have a bad cell or two in batteries. Check the voltage of each battery. Then check voltage of each battery when pedal is pressed.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 07:59 AM   #5
jsmith6298
Not Yet Wild

Ok, I have new numbers. (Leave it to a phone man to misread a meter he isn't used to using) 13V across the pack, 4 batteries are at 1V, 1 is at 2V and one is at 5V. I'm guessing now I need new batteries. Next I guess I need suggestions on how to maintain and charge them. Do I leave the cart on the charger whenever it's not in use? Do I wait until the charge light comes on to charge it? How long should a set of batteries last?
Old 07-06-2014, 08:07 AM   #6
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

Sounds like batteries are in order. Be sure to place cart in tow before working with them if it has a tow/run switch.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 08:13 AM   #7
93yellowclubcar
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Club Car

You definitely need batteries! On maintaining them, leave the cart plugged in whenever not in use, the On Board Computer will keep the batteries charged by cycling the charger occasionally when stored for lengthy periods of time. On charging, of is advised never to get below 50% SOC (state of charge) or you'll damage them. Full charge voltage is 50.96, 50% is 48.40. Definitely don't wait for the battery light to come on, that's a signal something is wrong, not that the batteries are needing charged (although sometimes it does signal that under voltage is a problem). A well maintained set of batteries last varying amounts of time, 6 years is a good time to shoot for IMO, I've seen shorter and I've seen longer.
93yellowclubcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 08:22 AM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I thought winter had passed - those are record lows

scottyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 06:08 PM   #9
jsmith6298
Not Yet Wild

Thanks everyone. A trip to Costco or Sams seems to be on the horizon. Now if I can find a forum for advice on putting together my 72 MG Midget.
Old 07-06-2014, 08:09 PM   #10
smokey tennis shoe
Gone Wild
Club Car

Research some battery prices before going to cosco. I have been replacing cosco golf cart batteries that are 2 years old as well as some that are three years old. They don't have as much lead in them as other brands.

Even Sams club energizer batteries are better than cosco brand.
smokey tennis shoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car