lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-18-2014, 07:15 AM   #1
Joe Fetterhoff
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default EZGO breaks

Here I go with another golf cart problem. this time on an EZGO 2001 cart. I need to replace the brakes but I can not get the drum off. I have the cotter pin removed and the castle nut off but the drum is as "tight as a drum!" I pounded on it with a hammer, sprayed liquid wrench on the axle, used a bar with a hook on it to pound between the drum and the back plate but all to know avail. I do not see anyway to loosen an adjuster like on a car. can anyone help? I watched U-Tube videos and they all pull the drum right off with no problem at all. Thanks, Joe
Joe Fetterhoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-18-2014, 09:39 AM   #2
gadavis
Gone Wild

Default Re: EZGO breaks

Prying on the drum and back plate is definitely a no-no. You can seriously bend the back plate and wind up replacing it. You need some sort of a hub puller that attaches to the wheel mounting studs and pushes against the axle in the center. There are some parts stores like Advance or O'Rileys that rent these tools. I have one that works off my hydraulic Porta-Power ram and only takes a few pumps to get one off. Do not continue to pry against it as you are setting the stage for an expensive headache of bent brake plates. Gene Davis
gadavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 09:43 AM   #3
gadavis
Gone Wild

Added note, sometimes you have to cut the head off the brake shoe retaining stud on the back of the back plate. I do this with a small sharp chisel or often with my air chisel. This lets the shoes come with thew drum. I usually replace the retainers anyway when doing a brake job..
gadavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 06:46 AM   #4
Joe Fetterhoff
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks for the advice. I will give it another try.
Joe Fetterhoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 09:52 AM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

There is a hole in the drum to access the adjuster star. The drum can be hard to remove when it is worn excessively. Once the brake pad is worn away completely the shoe and drum meet metal to metal and unfortunately the drum is softer. The resulting wear leaves a groove for the shoe and a ridge or lip on the inside edge which makes the drum hard to remove without backing the adjuster off.
In extreme cases I have seen this ridge worn completely off the drum - sometime you just have to get new drums and hit the old one with a hammer til it breaks
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car