lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-28-2014, 11:08 PM   #11
mike777
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Alltrax 4844 Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjylafond View Post
Scotty: Installed F&R today. The small wires (female ends) that connect to the spade connectors on the F&R switch have plastic shrouds that don't let them seat very well on the spade connectors and vibrate loose after driving a little bit. Will I have a problem if I replace these with female spade connectors that don't have the plastic shrouds?

Thanks,
Fast shipping by the way.
are you sure you are connecting them proper? male inside female, and not along side between plastic and metal??
mike777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-29-2014, 12:08 AM   #12
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjylafond View Post
Scotty: Installed F&R today. The small wires (female ends) that connect to the spade connectors on the F&R switch have plastic shrouds that don't let them seat very well on the spade connectors and vibrate loose after driving a little bit. Will I have a problem if I replace these with female spade connectors that don't have the plastic shrouds?

Thanks,
Fast shipping by the way.

Loose connections are your worse enemy! They will damage the components. Don't take an loose electrical connection lightly! Crimp the connector until it slides on tight! Cut the insulation back until it goes on fully! Carefully recheck all the connections - especially the high amperage ones.
scottyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 11:18 AM   #13
benjylafond
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Loose connections are your worse enemy! They will damage the components. Don't take an loose electrical connection lightly! Crimp the connector until it slides on tight! Cut the insulation back until it goes on fully! Carefully recheck all the connections - especially the high amperage ones.
Thanks Scotty. I was just worried about cutting the insulation back, it is what is getting in the way of me getting a really good connection.
benjylafond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 02:14 PM   #14
benjylafond
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Disaster!

Driving cart yesterday and it looked like a 4th of July show coming out of rear passenger wheel well and cart just stopped. Solenoid still clicks but no go. All of wires from F&R to solenoid and controller look good. Going to jack it up today and check the wires to the motor, maybe one of them got worn and it touched the frame?
Old 08-05-2014, 02:39 PM   #15
DaveTM
Gone Wild

I'm just wondering if the wires that come from the F\R switch and the controller, and go to the motor, (the ones that wrap around the corner of the battery frame)....if the rubber cable coating has worn thru on the corner of the battery frame? Thus causing a short between the positive and negative. The frame itself should not have any ground to it. (Unlike a car that has the frame with a negative ground....carts don't use the frame for either negative or positive)

I only mention this as it had happened to me once. Lots of sparks....lots of rubber smell....fortunately, no controller blow-out.

FWIW

Dave
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 06:36 PM   #16
benjylafond
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTM View Post
I'm just wondering if the wires that come from the F\R switch and the controller, and go to the motor, (the ones that wrap around the corner of the battery frame)....if the rubber cable coating has worn thru on the corner of the battery frame? Thus causing a short between the positive and negative. The frame itself should not have any ground to it. (Unlike a car that has the frame with a negative ground....carts don't use the frame for either negative or positive)

I only mention this as it had happened to me once. Lots of sparks....lots of rubber smell....fortunately, no controller blow-out.

FWIW

Dave
No, I must have had a loose connection to the F&R from the motor. Melted the terminal on the 4 gauge wire at the F&R switch and melted the plastic on the F&R switch. Guess I'm going back to the old switch. Had a lot of trouble getting 2 of the cables from the motor to the F&R tight to the F&R because the contact screws were so long the socket wouldn't tighten them all the way down and there was very little room to get a crescent wrench in there.
Old 08-05-2014, 06:47 PM   #17
benjylafond
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Pic below. Broke the **** posts because the arcing caused the nut to weld to the post.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F&R 1.jpg (4.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20140805_191424.jpg (19.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20140805_191442.jpg (21.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 08-05-2014, 07:04 PM   #18
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Catastrophic damage is already done to these switches by the time you see the stud change color or show any sign of getting hot. The plastic housing is good to about 150*. Above that temperature the housing melts and the studs sink in their seats - which allows the contact part of the stud to sink away from the rotary part of the switch. So... By the time you saw the sparks, the F&R was already toast. These systems will not tolerate loose connections.
scottyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 07:16 PM   #19
benjylafond
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Catastrophic damage is already done to these switches by the time you see the stud change color or show any sign of getting hot. The plastic housing is good to about 150*. Above that temperature the housing melts and the studs sink in their seats - which allows the contact part of the stud to sink away from the rotary part of the switch. So... By the time you saw the sparks, the F&R was already toast. These systems will not tolerate loose connections.
ScottyB: I figured that out pretty quick Tried extremely hard to get all of the terminals very tight but my "thru bolt" ratcheting wrenches wouldn't fit in the space and my sockets weren't long enough. Resorted to using 3 washers on each post. Obviously didn't work. Tried to order another one from you a little while ago but the paypal link keeps giving me the wrong one. I see you are checking it out. E-mail me at benjy@summervillelawyer.com if you figure out if I'm screwing up the order of if it was a webpage error.
Old 08-05-2014, 07:27 PM   #20
sportcoupe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Oh man we aren't talking tools again are we?
sportcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO