lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-26-2015, 10:13 PM   #1
fishbooz
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default electrical wiring help for 90 watt LED Light Bar

http://www.amazon.com/Xtreme%C2%AE-L...wiring+harness

I don't know if the link above for the wiring harness will post correctly but I am planning on installing a 90 watt led light bar and will be installing a 48 to 12 reducer as well . Is a wiring harness with a 40 amp relay needed for a 90 watt led light bar or can I wire it using just a rocker switch ? The reducer will be switched at the key and I want to make sure that the led that illuminates the rocker switch is switched on and off by the cart's key switch. Sorry if this is a dumb question but I want to do it right the first time and I don't want anything drawing from the batteries with the key switched off .I will buy the harness from a sponsor if any of them carry it and if I need it
Thanks in advance
fishbooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-27-2015, 07:49 AM   #2
crash test dummy

Default Re: electrical wiring help for 90 watt LED Light Bar

you can't go wrong with a relay and harness
let me get this straight , you want power on with key, no problem the good reducers do this
the rocker switch lighted with key ? hummmm ...... not possible
Old 11-27-2015, 09:39 AM   #3
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

If the reducer turns ON/OFF with the key, then the Rocker switch lights will also come ON/OFF with the key (It is all on the 12v side).

I think anything over 5 amps should go thru a Relay, that harness you linked makes a clean install, but You do pay a good mark up over the parts prices...

Those big switches (shown in the previous link) are rated for 10 amps, so You can also just wire it without the relay if it is something you are not going to use a lot.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 10:20 AM   #4
fishbooz
Gone Wild
Club Car

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If the reducer turns ON/OFF with the key, then the Rocker switch lights will also come ON/OFF with the key (It is all on the 12v side).

This is exactly what I want it to do is power the led illuminated rocker switch with the key switch, that way the rocker switch would not be lit up with the key switched off. I may not have asked it the right way in my first post, I will order a wire harness with relay and rocker switch .
Thanks CTD and Sergio !
Old 11-27-2015, 10:53 AM   #5
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Just in case You want to wire other accessories that will not need a Relay, this is how You would wire those switches.

Also, If you end up with a panel full of those switches, this is a cool USB power port:

http://www.amazon.com/Mictuning-Universal-Rocker-Style-Charger/dp/B010T3D1CQ http://www.amazon.com/Mictuning-Universal-Rocker-Style-Charger/dp/B010T3D1CQ

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rocker_Switch_Wiring.jpg (120.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 11-27-2015, 11:10 AM   #6
fishbooz
Gone Wild
Club Car

Thanks Sergio ...I was wondering why the rocker switches I have looked at have 5 terminals on the back ..now I know !

Thanks again !
Old 11-27-2015, 12:03 PM   #7
glassk
Gone Wild

Club Car

The LED on the switch will come on when light bar is on and be off otherwise,...??
glassk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 12:25 PM   #8
crash test dummy

the ground is what turns the led inside the rocker on

the switches Sergio shows are not what i use
Old 11-27-2015, 02:41 PM   #9
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassk View Post
The LED on the switch will come on when light bar is on and be off otherwise,...??
I think a lot of folks use the dual illuminated rocker switches, a small led light comes on when +12v is available, the larger indicator only illuminates when the switch is ON.

This is the pin out, I posted the picture because is easier to follow.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5terminals_dual_iluminated_rocker_switch.jpg (6.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 11-27-2015, 02:41 PM   #10
fishbooz
Gone Wild
Club Car

glassk ...the way I was understanding it is ....the led lit rocker will be lit as long as the key switch is on , that way you can see the switch at night and it stays lit wether the light bar is on or off, I may be wrong on that as I have never used that switch but I hope it works that way so at night you can see the switch ? hope someone can confirm that.

Crash ...I see that the switch you use has three pins instead of 5, the way I had this install in my mind was to use a converter switched at the cart's key switch then have the rocker switch powered from the converter, then have the led light bar powered from the rocker switch ...would that be correct ? if so I was hoping that since the reducer is switched at the key, then once I switch the key off it would in turn, cut power to the converter , which would cut the power to the led lit rocker switch . please correct me if I am wrong as I am trying to get this figured out before I attempt to install everything ...thanks for everyone's help. I ordered a converter from David /Revolution golf cars
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car