lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-10-2013, 10:14 AM   #1
mjhoward
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default 72 volts or custom PQ motor?

I have a series txt D&D motor 170-0001-001 20% tq motor on 48 volts, 22" tires. My friend has the same cart on 23", 36v and stock everything else. We are at a dead heat on top end at around 15.5-16 mph. I have more on take off of course. He wants to buy my 48v components from me if I go 72 volts. I know 72 volts will stress the motor and I have a temp probe glued to the motor casing with conductive epoxy and LED gauge to monitor temps. But that isn't my concern or question right now.

It will cost about the same to sell him my parts and upgrade to 72v as it will to get a custom PQ motor built. My goal is about 20% more tq and 10mph or so gain top speed. Which one will give me the best performance? (considering a perfect world where my d&d motor will survive forever on the 72 volts).
mjhoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-10-2013, 02:20 PM   #2
shaffer88
Gone Wild

I say motor, components for 72 batt controller solenoid and new motor in the end I'm sure once you blow that one on the 72v. Motor should get you there. And replacement parts will be cheaper. And don't forget the fab work to make/alter battery tray.
shaffer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 02:21 PM   #3
shaffer88
Gone Wild

But if you got the money and the time do it 72 I mean
shaffer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 03:17 PM   #4
sportcoupe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 72 volts or custom PQ motor?

D&D built me a custom 72v series motor for $450 plus shipping and I had it in a week. They dyno test each and every motor they make and can send you the dyno sheet if you ask.

When I called PQ they quoted me $750 for the same motor with 3 weeks build time.
sportcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 03:40 PM   #5
mjhoward
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

I have the 2ga cable and lugs. 3 8v batteries. One under driver seat and 2 in bag well. If a motor will get me there, It would be easier.
Ill look into d&d for sure.
Old 08-10-2013, 04:18 PM   #6
scottginfla
72 volt torque monster

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportcoupe View Post
D&D built me a custom 72v series motor for $450 plus shipping and I had it in a week. They dyno test each and every motor they make and can send you the dyno sheet if you ask.

When I called PQ they quoted me $750 for the same motor with 3 weeks build time.

My sentiments exactly, go with the 72v D&D
scottginfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 04:24 PM   #7
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

mjhoward, looking at your sig, your cart is the same as mine, except I am still at 36v....but it baffles me that you are only at 15.6-16 mph......this leads me to believe that you are still using your stock motor......I have the same controller, cables, F/R, Solenoid.....BUT I have an AMD Raptor motor.....and even at 36v it get me to 27 mph. IF/WHEN I got to 48v.....it will get close to 35 mph.....

so for me, its a no brainer......get a high speed motor and kick your buddies A$$.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 05:14 PM   #8
mjhoward
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Nuke View Post
mjhoward, looking at your sig, your cart is the same as mine, except I am still at 36v....but it baffles me that you are only at 15.6-16 mph......this leads me to believe that you are still using your stock motor......I have the same controller, cables, F/R, Solenoid.....BUT I have an AMD Raptor motor.....and even at 36v it get me to 27 mph. IF/WHEN I got to 48v.....it will get close to 35 mph.....

so for me, its a no brainer......get a high speed motor and kick your buddies A$$.
Its def a d&d. Its the first series upgrade motor on their site. It came on the cart when I picked it up. It will pull the front wheels 3" unassisted. I want it to set on the back foot bar unassisted and be able to keep up with another buddies 48v pds.
Will the raptor pull the front wheels? I had to set my acceleration rate from 12.5% to 60% to get it to.
Old 08-10-2013, 05:53 PM   #9
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

I'd think you'd have to choose between popping wheelies and doing 40 mph, unless you have a LOT of HP and Amps.

But for my sig setup with VERY aggressive controller settings, I have to be rolling backwards to pull the wheels off the ground with stock tires, but I blow away every sparky and gasser ('cause they don't know how to disable their governor), in my four subdivisions.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 07:09 PM   #10
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjhoward View Post
Its def a d&d. Its the first series upgrade motor on their site. It came on the cart when I picked it up. It will pull the front wheels 3" unassisted. I want it to set on the back foot bar unassisted and be able to keep up with another buddies 48v pds.
Will the raptor pull the front wheels? I had to set my acceleration rate from 12.5% to 60% to get it to.
well you have to make a choice.....either a ton of torque so you can pull the wheelies.......or kick his butt going all out. if its just a matter of doing BOTH, you can, but as the old speed shop sign says:

SPEED COST MONEY....HOW FAST DO YOU WANT TO GO!!
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO