lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-03-2017, 02:49 PM   #1
nighttrain
Not Yet Wild

Default Winter storage

What do you do for winter storage? Do you keep the charger plugged into the cart for the winter months?
nighttrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-03-2017, 05:15 PM   #2
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Winter storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain View Post
What do you do for winter storage? Do you keep the charger plugged into the cart for the winter months?
although I don't deal with WINTER.....yes you need to keep your cart plugged in and check the water levels now and then as well.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 08:16 PM   #3
mgray70
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain View Post
Unless it's a DPI or similar charger leaving it plugged in will not keep it charged. Most chargers only do one charge cycle then cut off. You have to unplug and plug back in to initiate another charge cycle.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
mgray70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 11:08 PM   #4
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

I have also seen many oem chargers that claim to automatically handle it, but not do it. Best thing is to actually unplug it & re plug it every once in a while.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 11:55 AM   #5
birddog5
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
I have also seen many oem chargers that claim to automatically handle it, but not do it. Best thing is to actually unplug it & re plug it every once in a while.
That is what I do - Northern MN
birddog5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 09:13 PM   #6
jdcdpm52
Not Yet Wild

Bought my cart from a shop that refurbs and resells. Live in Pennsylvania. They advised storing in garage and charging once per month. That's my plan
jdcdpm52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 12:45 AM   #7
ThreeCW
Gone Wild

Cushman

To maximize battery life, your golf cart batteries (and any lead acid battery) should be kept fully charged at all times (or as near to fully charged as possible). This includes both short term and long term storage. The easiest way to check your State of Charge (SOC) is to monitor your battery pack voltage using a digital volt meter or easier yet, an “in dash” digital battery meter (see: http://www.cartsunlimited.net/battery-meters.html). A 36v battery pack would typically be at 38.20v at 100% SOC. A 48v battery pack would typically be 50.93v at 100% SOC. Some premium battery packs may see higher voltages at 100% SOC – for example my 48v battery pack is 51.7v when fully charged (and allowed to stabilize for 12 – 24 hrs). See the attached State of Charge Chart for more information.

If you have a battery charger with a maintenance mode on it, then keeping your charger plugged in during your storage period should keep your batteries at 100% SOC. For a battery charger without a maintenance mode, you are best to charge your batteries at regular intervals (typically every 2 to 4 weeks) depending on your batteries self-discharge rate and other parasite losses. For long term or unattended storage, you may want to disconnect the battery pack from the cart to reduce parasite losses.

Either way (with or without a charger with a maintenance mode), it would pay you dividends to regularly monitor your battery pack voltage to determine your SOC and then charge you battery accordingly to maintain 100% SOC.

Regards, 3CW
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Carts Unlimited State of Charge Chart.JPG (71.0 KB, 0 views)
ThreeCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 05:04 AM   #8
Dennisneri
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

i live in western NY i use my cart all year long i always have my bat, charged my neighbor takes his out and puts them in cellar? bet my batteries while last longer? will see we bought them at the same time
Dennisneri is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO