lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-04-2017, 10:29 AM   #1
BrianDye
Not Yet Wild

Default Picked up a '98 TXT, looking to bag it, and restore it

Did some wiring on a RZR for a family member, and in trade got this "rolling chassis" basically.

Its a 1998 EZGO TXT, pretty much complete, minus batteries, controller, charger.

I've always been into lifted and lowered vehicles, but never really had the means to mess with them myself, as I work too far from home and only have one vehicle, so if something went wrong, im SOL.

I figure this cart is the perfect test dummy that I can mess with in the garage and take my time on.

I was stupidly under the impression, that taking the shocks off would have dropped it to the ground, but then realized the leafs are taking the support. Those shocks were garbage anyways, I can easily retract them with my hands, and they don't even come back.

I have a lot of questions about lowering. It seems like everything i've found online is like 80's carts, or 2005+ carts being bagged, so its obviously a different setup.

Some of them I see looks like they've dumped thousands into custom suspension, and chassis parts, which I am not looking to do. This cart is gonna be strictly on-road, buzzing around my neighborhood streets.

Im assuming I have to ditch the leaf springs front and back to get the thing to lay the frame down (And I know ill lose my parking brake while its down, but thats fine for now, ill worry about that later if it becomes an issue)

The back seems like it would be fairly easy, weld or bolt the mounting plates on for the bag, and call it a day. Fronts don't seem so easy.

I do know not to run the bags connected with "T" fittings, when you turn, the air would switch to the opposite side and make turning feel like a rollover. I will be running an on-board air system.

And before everyone blasts the typical forum replies of "search" I have. Most of the threads are as old as me (not really, but...) or completely different carts which are no help to me, or filled with wonderful Photobucket-linked pictures which don't work.

I do appreciate any help or advice.
Please don't waste your time to tell me its gonna be expensive, or not worth it, or you don't see the point, etc.

*Edit, sorry the pic is sideways. Don't know why it uploaded that way.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6728.jpg (228.1 KB, 0 views)
BrianDye is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-04-2017, 07:29 PM   #2
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Picked up a '98 TXT, looking to bag it, and restore it

Hi Brian.....I can't help you much with the drop. HOWEVER, a couple of things. For starters your frame looks GREAT! you are in a fairly unique situation considering where you are starting....you have a TOTALLY blank slate! The cart you have, what few pieces of the drive system you have, its a SERIES drive system. before you start looking at pieces/parts for the drive system, you need to decide how you want it to perform....how fast do you want it to go, that sort of thing. I would like to suggest to you, regardless which drive system you want to build (Series or SEPEX), seriously consider going with 48v vs. 36v as making that jump will net you an increase of roughly 30% more torque and speed right off the top. If you decide to keep the stock drive system TOTALLY STOCK...and just complete the missing parts you don't have, you will end up with a cart that will run about 14 mph. if you want more.....the sky's the limit, most of us do....and we will help you with anything along the way. as you can see in my signature.....I too have a series cart.....the only real difference is our steering. and mine runs 30 mph.

oh and BTW......Congrats on the new ride and Welcome to our happy little corner of the net, and to BGW. There is a BIG fridge on the back porch with anything you can think of in it...help yourself...of course only take what you can LEGALLY have. Make yourself at home on one of the big fluffy couches, kick your shoes off, put your feet up on one of the tables, yes we are allowed to do that, mom's, wives’, husbands, girlfriend’s and boyfriends here don't care....and take it easy.

oh...btw....every once in a while a food fight breaks out...so you may not want to wear nice clothes here.

Welcome!!
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 06:12 PM   #3
BrianDye
Not Yet Wild

Haha, thanks for the warm welcome! Ill have to play with my settings, I didn't even know anyone replied.

Yeah, someone on the golf cart group im in over on FB mentioned the same thing, building up to 48v instead of 36v since I really am starting from scratch.

I originally wanted to keep it stock, and simple, and possibly upgrade afterwards, but thats just a waste of money. I know I won't be happy with the stock 36v speed, so I think im going to jump the gun and build it as a 48v.

Can I use my same motor? Or will I have to replace that as well? Those aren't friendly to the wallet...
BrianDye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 09:04 PM   #4
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Brian.....what will truly make the difference of whether or not you will want to use your stock motor will be determined on how fast you want it to go. AND what drive system you have or use.....seeing as right now all you have is the motor and some misc. wires. SO do you know what type of drive system your cart had? either Series or Sepex?
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO