lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-03-2021, 08:09 PM   #1
Boltfan1
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default EZGO DCS Alltrax Install Key Switch Issue

I have a 1998 EZGO DCS that I am upgrading to 48 volt system and installing package #6 (alltrax 48500, with Admiral B4 motor etc)from Scotty B. I was able to take my time and follow the diagrams
and the good news is I have installed everything and have got it up and running. The issue I have is that I only get constant power to the Key switch is when the F/R lever is engaged in either Forward or Reverse and the Run Tow Switch is in the on position. When I put the R/T into Nuetral Position it turns off main power to the Key Switch. The Key switch does turn the controller on and off if the F/R is engaged and the Run Tow is in the On position. The Tow Run Switch does work as expected. I am able to charge the cart with no issues. I have attached the Wiring Diagram I am using. What am I missing, how do I get constant hot to the key switch?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Alltrax XCT Install EZGO (dragged).pdf (260.2 KB, 0 views)
Boltfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-03-2021, 08:22 PM   #2
DaveMJ
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: EZGO DCS Alltrax Install Key Switch Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltfan1 View Post
I only get constant power to the Key switch is when the F/R lever is engaged in either Forward or Reverse and the Run Tow Switch is in the on position. When I put the R/T into Nuetral Position it turns off main power to the Key Switch. The Key switch does turn the controller on and off if the F/R is engaged and the Run Tow is in the On position. The Tow Run Switch does work as expected. I am able to charge the cart with no issues.
It would appear that is the way the circuit is designed. Why do you need constant hot to the key switch?
DaveMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 08:27 PM   #3
Boltfan1
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by djohns18 View Post
It would appear that is the way the circuit is designed. Why do you need constant hot to the key switch?
I would like to be able to turn the key and and have the digital volt meter turn on. But if this is the way it works than okay great. I thought I did something wroing.
Old 02-03-2021, 08:47 PM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Alltrax didn't change the stock wiring, so for the controller to power up you still have to have Run/Tow in Run, A direction selected on the F/R and the key ON.

I suspect EZGO put the switches and solenoid coil and controller in that arrangement to save a few feet of wire on each cart they built.
No other reason I can think of.

The keyswitch can be inserted in the circuit after the Run/Tow and before the F/R and the yellow wire on the solenoid coil has to be moved to the output of the keyswitch, putting controller pin-6 in parallel with the F/R switch rather than the solenoid coil. That way the controller will be powered up whenever the Run/Tow is in Run and the key is ON.

You have to have battery pack voltage on Pins 6, 9 and 10 for the controller to power up.

Here's a copy of the XCT in a DCS schematic in JPG form.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg XCT in DCS.jpg (246.4 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 09:18 PM   #5
Boltfan1
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
Alltrax didn't change the stock wiring, so for the controller to power up you still have to have Run/Tow in Run, A direction selected on the F/R and the key ON.

I suspect EZGO put the switches and solenoid coil and controller in that arrangement to save a few feet of wire on each cart they built.
No other reason I can think of.

The keyswitch can be inserted in the circuit after the Run/Tow and before the F/R and the yellow wire on the solenoid coil has to be moved to the output of the keyswitch, putting controller pin-6 in parallel with the F/R switch rather than the solenoid coil. That way the controller will be powered up whenever the Run/Tow is in Run and the key is ON.

You have to have battery pack voltage on Pins 6, 9 and 10 for the controller to power up.

Here's a copy of the XCT in a DCS schematic in JPG form.
Johnny, what other wires need to be moved besides the yellow wire up to the key switch to make this happen?
Old 02-04-2021, 10:46 AM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltfan1 View Post
Johnny, what other wires need to be moved besides the yellow wire up to the key switch to make this happen?
The Orn/Red and Red wires going to the F/R input needs to be moved to the Keyswitch input.

The Yellow wire from the F/R needs to be connected to the solenoid's small terminal with the Red wire connect to it.

The Wht/Yel wire from the keyswitch output needs to be connected to the F/R input.

The Yellow wire that used to go between the solenoid's small terminal to the controller's Pin-6 is also connected to the Keyswitch output.

Wired that way, the controller will power up when Run/Tow is in Run and Keyswitch is on, but solenoid won't click until a direction is selected on F/R and the pedal switch closed also.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 07:24 PM   #7
Boltfan1
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
The Orn/Red and Red wires going to the F/R input needs to be moved to the Keyswitch input.

The Yellow wire from the F/R needs to be connected to the solenoid's small terminal with the Red wire connect to it.

The Wht/Yel wire from the keyswitch output needs to be connected to the F/R input.

The Yellow wire that used to go between the solenoid's small terminal to the controller's Pin-6 is also connected to the Keyswitch output.

Wired that way, the controller will power up when Run/Tow is in Run and Keyswitch is on, but solenoid won't click until a direction is selected on F/R and the pedal switch closed also.
I will take a look at it this weekend and see if I will go this route or leave it as is. Thanks again for the detailed information Johnny!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO