lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-31-2013, 05:42 PM   #21
Big Jack
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Speed Expectations For 48 Volt CC

KG, Dr. Phil again...
The post from you about reverse speed, are you thinking that the leads from the F/W switch are crossed and that I have incorrectly connected the r-limiter?
JJ,
If each battery stress-tested at >=8volts under load individually, wouldn't that suggest that they are ok?
Big Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-31-2013, 05:45 PM   #22
scotter
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Hello All,
I converted a '97 CC DS 48-V this year for hunting camp. It has the original motor, but thanks to a site sponsor, I now have a 500-amp Alltrax controller, new solenoid, h/d f/r switch, & #4 cables throughout. The batteries are decent and hold charge well. It's on a 6" lift over 12" trail tires/wheels and has a flip/flop rear seat.
I did the electrical conversion after installing the lift & seat, and it does have a good deal more power (torque), but do I have my speed expectations set too high? Using a phone app to tack my speed, I max at 10mph on flats & 4-6mph on hill grades. Is that normal? My concern is not having the right speed/torque combination when trail conditions at camp get wet & sloppy. I call it the Battle Buggy & would like for it to live up to the name...
If I need to make a motor change or something else, please keep budget considerations in your advice...
It's getting wild...
Thanks,
Big Jack
Back to your original post...
Your speed is suspect. You say batteries are decent. Let's say they are.
1) Have you checked the output from the pot box to the controller? This tells the controller how much amps to output to motor based on pedal depression. Is that output compatible with the controller?
2)Have you checked the programming on the controller? It may be set up for "mild" vs. "wild". Could it be in "limp" mode and return your indicated speeds?
Hey, I'm guessing on these but have read enough to know these could be causes for the symptom you're seeing. (you've probably already ruled these out). Personally, I think it's a signal issue, if you're certain the batts are older, but solid.
Lastly, have you contacted the supplier of your controller and discussed your speed results with them? They may be able to shed some light? Sorry, more questions than answers.
scotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 07:27 PM   #23
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

If you go look at the wiring diagram at Alltraxs site for a CC series, Pin 4 is the half speed reverse pin. If it has voltage applied, the controller runs at half speed. It shows it not connected but not sure about yours. It is a small 1/4 inch blade connection fourth from the status led.
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 08:33 AM   #24
joesam
Gone Wild
Club Car

Hey Jack - I was momentarily away - but like the others on this thread I am thoroughly confused about your top speed. Since your batteries test "OK" then like others taking guesses, there is something in your throttle circuit limiting your speed. I'm not sure if you have a pot box or a MCor (others might know for sure) - but if you have a MCor, they are prone to wear in their rod/linkage. Time to look under your cart and let us know what you have. If an MCor - then read this thread - others have experienced low top-end performance cause by this odd linkage wear.
joesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 03:45 PM   #25
Big Jack
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

JoeSam wins the cup of coffee for today!
My DYI experience is more mechanical than electrical, hence the many questions about the cart's electrical system. So, before trying to diagnose via the components, I looked to the pedal/linkage first. Indeed, there was some free travel in the pedal before it engaged the pivot bar or drive bar that connects through what many are calling the "pot-box". So, I took a wooden wedge originally designed for an ax-head and sized it to clear the floor panel when the pedal is depressed, secured it into the gap, resulting in less free travel of the pedal to the drive bar. VIOLA, the cart is now reaching 13-14mph on the flats vs. the 8-10mph previously. The attached image is the connecting point that was referenced on Joe's thread link, with the wedge in place. I will be replacing that wedge with the tubing that was also referenced on the link. Thanks again JoeSam!
Old 11-01-2013, 03:49 PM   #26
Big Jack
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Okay, while I was working on the temporary fix to the pedal travel, I noticed that the pivot arm or drive bar itself has a substantial amount of travel in it. Is this a bushing issue, a bar issue, or something to acknowledge and move on instead. In other words, could this be preventing further pedal engagement with the pot box?
Old 11-01-2013, 04:18 PM   #27
joesam
Gone Wild
Club Car

Although its always a good idea to replace a worn bushing, its not likely to give you more (or necessarily reduced) speed. The linkage does allow for a little slop. But I find the sponsors on this site carry lots of parts at very excellent prices; so if it were me, I'd replace it "just 'cause". After all, wear in the linkage suggests the whole mechanical side of the throttle should probably be refurbished. Glad you found your speed problem. 10 mph was just not normal for a cart of that era!

Now if you want more wind in your hair...the sponsors who do the motor upgrades will be your next coffee winners!
Old 11-01-2013, 05:41 PM   #28
Big Jack
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

and I will eventually go that route, probably to a d&d472, 16 horses could pull my big behind around the woods very well...
for now, I am happy to have what I have, and a wife that understands as well...
thanks again for the support, certainly there are others that learned from this, and maybe one day I can provide the same type of good guidance...
Old 11-02-2013, 11:05 AM   #29
johncgcs
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

definetly a bad battery. jack up rear end and check the voltage while under a load ride the brakes a little while testing
johncgcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 10:43 AM   #30
joesam
Gone Wild
Club Car

Oops - reply doesn't belong here
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car