lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-19-2015, 08:04 AM   #11
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Ezgo conversion help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klunky Chris View Post
JB & SB, I thought I read you guys saying in other posts that a stock PDS controller will handle 1 extra battery for 42v? Am I miss-remembering this?
I agree with Scotty, even though he is more conservative than I am in some technical areas.

A stock PDS controller (Curtis 1206MX) might operate with a 42V battery pack, but the cart won't go any faster since the controller limits the motor to something in the 4200 to 4400 RPM range, which is 18 to 19 MPH on stock height (18") tires.

If the higher voltage doesn't burn out the PDS controller immediately, you will get more torque until the increased heat generated by the higher wattage throughput burns out the controller. With a fully charged 36V pack (38.2V) a PDS controller passes 11,460W at its 300A current limit and with a fully charged 42V pack (44.6V) it passes 13,380W and a 2kW increase is significant when the heat dissipation abilities of the controller is marginal.

In addition, the stock solenoid (36V coil and 85A contacts) is going to get mighty hot at 42V and probably won't last very long.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-19-2015, 08:24 AM   #12
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDodson View Post
thanks guys! Torque is what im looking for. It goes 20 now with everything stock & 36v but I have 25in tires so im sure im gaining a little speed from the tires. I need some torque for hills and take off. 20 mph is fast enough, with my kids riding it ill end up doing frame and body work. lol
With 25" tires, you are gaining about 40% in speed and losing about 30% in torque.

Upping the pack to 48V and the controller to 400A will give you a lot better acceleration and hill climbing abilities, but will also increase the speed by roughly 1/3, or about 28 MPH.

You'll also be increasing motor heat considerably, so when it burns out, it might be an idea to replace it with a high torque motor. Something capable of turning the exceptionally tall tires without overheating.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 09:38 AM   #13
Klunky Chris
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Ok, thanks for clearing that up guys!
Obviously I either miss-remember or misunderstood ��
Klunky Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO