lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-01-2018, 10:46 AM   #21
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Simple Test for OBC

Unplug both the AC power plug from the wall and the DC plug from the cart.

Set your meter for continuity and place it on the blades of the AC plug.

You should not have continuity.

Plug the DC cord to the cart.

You should see continuity in the meter and then it should go away after a few seconds.

If the continuity does not go away after 1 minute, unplug the DC cord from the cart and make sure the continuity disappears immediately.

I think in your case the charger relay may be bad and the contacts are stuck.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-01-2018, 11:39 AM   #22
Scottyboy
Not Yet Wild

Everything tested as it should. Isn’t 38v too low at the pack positive and negative port? It’s 14v lower than pack voltage.
Scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 11:52 AM   #23
Raystar57
Gone Wild

Club Car

That negative charge port wire may be damaged or have corroded connectors.
Charge port contacts could have some contact issues.
I would say you have some larger resistance in that wire causing a voltage drop.
Raystar57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 11:57 AM   #24
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

The negative wire from the charger receptacle goes through an SCR inside the OBC before it connects to B-, so unless it is totally burnt, there is not a fixed value for "good" since it would also depend on the impedance of your meter.

If the continuity tests above worked, that means the relay in the charger is following the OBC commands and the OBC itself is not terminating the charge.

Are you waiting 16 hours to see if it finishes?

What is the current on the charger and the pack voltage after 8 hours or so charging?
Old 11-01-2018, 12:32 PM   #25
Scottyboy
Not Yet Wild

I haven’t let it stay on for 16. It’s starts out at 15, the drops to 5 and stays. there. I just replaced all my batteries and don’t want to damage them. For all I know the charger cooked the last batts. It used to shutoff regularly. Then I noticed it wasn’t. But the batts were all puffed out, my charger meter would never show full charge and my cart was a dog. New batts fixed all that but I just want to make sure charger isn’t a problem
Old 11-01-2018, 12:40 PM   #26
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

If You disconnect the batteries for more than 10 minutes the OBC will reset.

Once the OBC resets there is no information saved of last time it was charged and how many AmpHours have been removed from the pack since last charge.

The OBC defaults to a dV/dT protocol that takes much longer than the regular Coulomb Count method (Energy In/Out).

That process will not finish until one or more full cycles have occurred so that the OBC can determine if it has a correct (Ie: predictable) baseline analysis of your pack.

You need to plug it in and let it finish.

The current should be between 3 and 5 amps at the end so it is not really "cooking" the batteries.
Old 11-01-2018, 08:11 PM   #27
Scottyboy
Not Yet Wild

Thanks. It’s been disconnected an hour. I’ll go reconnect and leave charging overnight.
Old 11-02-2018, 08:35 AM   #28
Scottyboy
Not Yet Wild

Good to go! Charger was off this am....THX!
Old 08-12-2019, 10:55 AM   #29
Bloup101
Not Yet Wild

Hello I have a 48v 99 CC DS that I just bought. The 6 batteries had been sitting for 2 years and did not try to charge them. I had 4 12v batteries available and installed them. The cart works as expected and beeps in reverse. The problem is the powerdrive charger won't turn on but I can hear a relay near the OBC click when I remove the charger from the charger receptacle. I tried another powerdrive2 charger and have the same symptoms. The cart won't beep in reverse while the charger is plugged in so the cart senses the charger is plugged in.
Bat pack 49.10v
Bat pack +, charger receptacle - 36.60v (now 48.84v)
Bat pack +, charger sense receptacle 48.52v
Bat pack -, charger receptacle + 49.10v
Charger receptacle +, charger sense receptacle 48.54v
Charger receptacle +, charger receptacle - 36.63v (now 48.84v)
Charger receptacle -, charger sense receptacle 12v
I checked all 3 fuses good. Charger sense fuse, charger ground fuse and fuse near the OBC.
I tried bypassing the OBC by connecting a 12gauge wire from bat pack - to charger receptacle negative and nothing, would this bypass work for powerdrive chargers?
Is 36.60v an issue?
Edit: I now have 48.84v on bat pack +, charger receptacle - by cleaning the charger receptacle fuse connectors.
I have left the battey pack disconnected for 15 minutes to reset OBC.
Still not charging.
Bloup101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 07:24 PM   #30
Bloup101
Not Yet Wild

I tried the manual reset of the OBC and the reverse buzzer does beep after depressing the throttle pedal for 30 seconds. I guess my 1999 CC DS does not beep. I also noticed the battery orange light does not come on when I drive the cart the first time after the reset, maybe the light does not work, more troubleshooting.
Bloup101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car