lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-23-2017, 02:56 PM   #1
slashpine
Getting Wild

Default New battery pack questions etc..

Please direct me to previous relevant threads on the subject...
I'm getting a new set of Crown 235 batteries for our 36V DCS TXT stock cart...

I'm seeking advice on first use and break in procedures for a new battery pack in regard to charging etc...

Also, I've heard that all "distilled" water (or what is labeled as distilled) is not the same...is there a specific brand etc. to look for...?

I've read that a charge should not allowed to go below 50%...but this does not exactly correspond with many of the charge gauge meters I've looked at??

What is the general consensus on using electronic desulfators ?...(in the past I have only used them after the warranty has expired on the batteries)

I plan on pampering these new batteries so if there is any other advice (or threads), tips, tricks etc. for getting the most from and prolonging the life of the batteries I'm anxious to hear about it...thanks in advance for any insights...
slashpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-23-2017, 03:00 PM   #2
Blackbeard
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: New battery pack questions etc..

Check Carts Unlimited site lots of good info on batteries and how to break them in!!
Blackbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 03:01 PM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Yes click on the link below and read every page with the word battery in the title. You will know enough to get the MOST from your pack.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 12:22 PM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by slashpine View Post
Please direct me to previous relevant threads on the subject...
I'm getting a new set of Crown 235 batteries for our 36V DCS TXT stock cart...

1. I'm seeking advice on first use and break in procedures for a new battery pack in regard to charging etc...

2. Also, I've heard that all "distilled" water (or what is labeled as distilled) is not the same...is there a specific brand etc. to look for...?

3. I've read that a charge should not allowed to go below 50%...but this does not exactly correspond with many of the charge gauge meters I've looked at??

4. What is the general consensus on using electronic desulfators ?...(in the past I have only used them after the warranty has expired on the batteries)

5. I plan on pampering these new batteries so if there is any other advice (or threads), tips, tricks etc. for getting the most from and prolonging the life of the batteries I'm anxious to hear about it...thanks in advance for any insights...
1. See preceding posts in this thread.

2. There are many levels of water purity and the lowest level of pure water is what is found on grocery store shelves, but any water marked "Distilled", "De-ionized" or RO (Reverse Osmosis) is pure enough for batteries.

Steer clear of all bottled drinking water, it contains minerals, etals and other chemicals and those are what kills batteries. (See attached Max impurity chart.)

3. Install a DVM type battery meter and use a SoC chart. (Attached)

4. Technically, some have merit, but I believe them to be more effective as prevention rather than recovery.

5. Get a DPI Accusense battery charger and have it plugged into cart whenever the cart isn't being driven.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Max impurities in water for batteries.JPG (82.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg SoC vs Voltage - Trojan Battery.JPG (56.9 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 09:46 PM   #5
slashpine
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
1. See preceding posts in this thread.

2. There are many levels of water purity and the lowest level of pure water is what is found on grocery store shelves, but any water marked "Distilled", "De-ionized" or RO (Reverse Osmosis) is pure enough for batteries.

Steer clear of all bottled drinking water, it contains minerals, etals and other chemicals and those are what kills batteries. (See attached Max impurity chart.)

3. Install a DVM type battery meter and use a SoC chart. (Attached)

4. Technically, some have merit, but I believe them to be more effective as prevention rather than recovery.

5. Get a DPI Accusense battery charger and have it plugged into cart whenever the cart isn't being driven.
Great response Thanks and thanks for all the replies...I have learned a lot from heeding the advice of the "first responders"...I just ordered a charge meter from 'cartsunlimited.net'...

I've heard that some water that is labeled as "distilled" can still contain some salts etc...?? and places like 'wally world' were mentioned to be careful of??

My new Crowns arrived today and show 6.35-6.36...is it advisable to discharge them some ? if so how much before the first charge as a series connected 36V package??...

...I did not get a printed warranty...should I run the "BatteryMINDer Model OBD-36: 36Volt (36V) On-Board Desulfator" from the onset (after the break in) ??
slashpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 12:07 PM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by slashpine View Post
Great response Thanks and thanks for all the replies...I have learned a lot from heeding the advice of the "first responders"...I just ordered a charge meter from 'cartsunlimited.net'...

1. I've heard that some water that is labeled as "distilled" can still contain some salts etc...?? and places like 'wally world' were mentioned to be careful of??

2. My new Crowns arrived today and show 6.35-6.36...is it advisable to discharge them some ? if so how much before the first charge as a series connected 36V package??...

3. ...I did not get a printed warranty...should I run the "BatteryMINDer Model OBD-36: 36Volt (36V) On-Board Desulfator" from the onset (after the break in) ??
1. Read the label. I use "Distilled" water (Great Value brand) from wally world in my cigar humidor as well as my cart batteries, so I just happen to have a old bottle setting next to it. The label says it is Sodium free and table salt is Sodium Chloride. The label also says it is RO water that has been steam distilled and De-ionized, so it ought to be fairly pure, or false advertising.

If you really want to pamper your batteries, get a TDS/EC meter and test the water before adding it to them. An inexpensive one like this: https://www.amazon.com/PLAY-STORE-Te...h+and+ec+meter will probably be sufficient.

Attached is a chart for water purity. Distilled water is ion hungry and after being exposed to air its initial resistivity of about 10 Megohms drops to about 500KΩ, so 500KΩ and above is good.

2. Always fully charge cart batteries before first use.

3. I'd check with Crown to find out if using the "BatteryMINDer Model OBD-36: 36Volt (36V) On-Board Desulfator" voids the warranty.

Also, it looks like the gadget has a 15A inline fuse. What is the out amps of your charger?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Water conductivity.jpg (177.3 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 03:04 PM   #7
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

I would like to concur. I use a lot of distilled water and I have found many store brands such as Publix and Albertsons, where they use filtered city water and mark the label with "*same as distilled", even though it is not. You can read it as 1.5 to 2 on the brix scale, while real distilled water reads 1.0

I buy the WalMart Great Value brand because I have never had a problem with the purity of it in batteries and scientific equipment that I use
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO