lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-10-2017, 01:08 PM   #1
TexTurbo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default 99 TXT Headlight Replace/Upgrade

Well, I've finally come up on an issue that Jaxpilot has'nt already resolved on his build.

My TXT has the OEM halogen headlights (along with the cutouts in the cowl),
since I'm moving up to 48V pack, they need to be replaced/upgraded.
The drivers side headlight bucket is broken, and will have to be replaced regardless, and I was going to add rear lights..just for safety

Of course might as well go to LED and run off my 48/12v reducer.... but here is the snag.... all of the "kits" I have found (board sponsors also) are smaller than OEM, some even specifically call this out. The OEM cutout is bigger than the "new" headlight bucket !!

The OE bucket is approx. 14" wide and 5 1/8"tall with a mounting screw in each of the four corners

Anybody worked through this one ???
TexTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-10-2017, 01:32 PM   #2
Conradconrad
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 99 TXT Headlight Replace/Upgrade

I can help with the tail lights. Not the headlight as I just got a full led set but had to cut in the new light for headlights.

For tail lights I found the same issue with the size. And here is what I did:

Took apart both lights -

I removed oem light from body and disconnected wires

I took the two screws that hold the red lense off
Next took the two screws with nuts off that hold the light assembly bracket metal to the plastic black mold light housing

Now you should just have a metal plate with the bulb, bulb reflector plate. I took the bulb out, put the remaining plate into a vice and drilled out the two rivets that hold the bulb onto the plate.

If this makes sense now you should only have a metal plate.

Then I took apart the new light from the black plastic mold

Next use the original old oem black housing and attached just the metal plate back to it. Then use the same two original long screws that held on just the lense to screw on the new lense that has the led board in it. I also had to cut off the connected to pull the wires through both the old metal plate and the black plastic light mold.

Summary you take apart a perfect new light and reuse as little as possible and put it back together using as much of the old light as possible including screws.
Conradconrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 10:45 AM   #3
TexTurbo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

As my original headlights were pretty broken up I was unable to salvage anything substantial enough to work with.

After leaving a bunch of messages at various vendors/online stores, I did get a favorable response from a store ( Golf Cart Garage) that emailed me the templates from their kit with printing instructions for the correct output size. ( a hand drawn 1" square on their template gave me a perfect reference for printing)

Turns out theirs is a perfect match !! (front and rear) $ 149 full adjustable LED delivered vs $ 79 for the undersized, but still cheaper than a new cowl.

Besides the great vendor sponsors we have here, it was nice to find a good level of customer service when I had to go "outside".
Old 04-11-2017, 12:10 PM   #4
swm63
Gone Wild

^^^
Golf Cart Garage is a site sponsor....
swm63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 04:52 PM   #5
TexTurbo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Oopps !!

My bad ! I'll go to my room now...
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO