lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-02-2017, 09:33 AM   #1
georgia088
Gone Wild

Default Ezgo pds alltrax 400 quit running

I appreciate In advance any help! I have an ezgo pds with alltrax 400. 48v. The cart has always ran fine. Very recently it started "skipping" today it started and now won't go. If you press the gas it will try for a second to go and then the controller flashes 6 red lights pauses then six more red lights and then goes back to solid green until you press pedal again. I checked all the connections and can't find anything wrong. The pack voltage does measure a little low (47. but it has never acted like this when the batteries died. I am currently charging the batteries, but what do I check if this doesn't work?

Thanks so much for any help!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
georgia088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-02-2017, 09:43 AM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Ezgo pds alltrax 400 quit running

Sounds like you have a DCX400 controller since the XCT uses a green/red blink code for errors.

For a DCX, 6 red blinks is Battery undervoltage shutdown.

What do you have the udervoltage slider set to?
What is the voltage between the controller's B- and B+ terminals when pedal is pushed?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DCX Error Codes.jpg (232.5 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 09:46 AM   #3
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

BTW 47.8V is more than "a little low", it's 40% SoC.

Might be just significantly discharged batteries, but might be a bad battery or two also.
Old 09-02-2017, 10:20 AM   #4
georgia088
Gone Wild

Thanks!
I have 46.1 volts at b+/b- at the controller. At the battery pack I have 47.8. I have 47.8 on one side of solenoid and 46.1 on the other. I changed solenoids but I am getting the same results. I am not exactly sure how the solenoid works, but there is continuity across it until the gas is pressed and then it looses continuity. I'm not sure if that is correct. Also, I used to could hear the controller "click" when it turned on and did the flashing, but now it flashes but no clicks. Batteries are still charging.

Each battery checked out at between 7.9 volts and 8.1. Any advice? Thanks again!

Old 09-02-2017, 10:50 AM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Many of the DCX controllers energized the solenoid for a few seconds when they powered up, but the important thing is for it to energize the solenoid when the pedal is pushed.

With the Run/Tow in Run, Key ON and F/R in either F or R, the DCX ought to power up. (Green LED blinks 4 times for an ITS throttle and then stays steady green)

After that, when the pedal is pushed, you ought to hear the solenoid click.

----------
Some voltage measurements:

Connect DVM's negative test lead to DCX's B- terminal.

With the DCX powered up, (Steady green LED), but pedal not pushed, what are the voltages on the solenoid's small terminal with the yellow wire on it and the small terminal with the blue wire on it?

With DCX powered up and pedal pushed, what are the voltages on those two small terminals?
Old 09-02-2017, 10:54 AM   #6
georgia088
Gone Wild

Also, I hope it's not a battery. I have T-875s and they are about 1-1/2 years old

Old 09-02-2017, 11:38 AM   #7
georgia088
Gone Wild

Ok. Now after about hour of charging:
Pack voltage: 50.5v
Voltage at b+/- of controller: 47.2

With neg. probe on b- and positive on yellow: 50.0v

With neg. probe on b- and positive on blue: 49.2v

With the pedal pushed
Nothing changes. Voltages stay the same as above.

The solenoid never clicks. Neither when key is turned on or pedal pressed.

Thanks again!

Old 09-02-2017, 12:19 PM   #8
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Your batteries need a good charge, but they seem to be taking a charge. Time will tell.
The B-/B+ voltage at the controller is normal for your present pack voltage.

The controller is not connecting the blue wire to B- like it ought to, so the solenoid doesn't energize and they cart might jump a bit when pedal is pushed due to the charge on the filter capacitors via the pre-charge resistor across the solenoid's big terminals.

Might be a dirty contacts on the blue wire as it goes through the PDS to DCX adapter kluge. Try disconnecting the adapter from the DCX and disconnecting the 10-pin plug (J1) from the PDS wiring harness. Spray clean the contacts and try again.

--------
If that doesn't work, measure voltage on Pin7 on top of DCX. You'll have to pry the plug up a little to get the test lead to the pin.

With DCX powered up and pedal not pressed, you should get about the same as you get on the blue wire on the solenoid's small terminal. When pedal is pushed, it should drop to about zero volts (and solenoid should click)
Old 09-02-2017, 12:32 PM   #9
georgia088
Gone Wild

Ok. The 10 pin connection. I know where it is, but the adapter, where is it located? Thanks again!

Old 09-02-2017, 12:40 PM   #10
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

It is between the 10-pin connector and the cart's wiring harness.

The DCX was a Plug-n-Play design for a DCS cart and Alltrax had to come up with an adapter to get it to work in PDS carts when they replaced the DCS carts in 2000. It works, but added over two dozen connections that can cause problems.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PDS to DCX adapter.JPG (116.1 KB, 0 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO