lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-31-2017, 04:45 AM   #1
Peter W
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Drowned 2008 Precedent

I've been offered for a vey modest price a non-running 2008 Precedent that had rolled into a water hazard on a golf course. It's in good cosmetic condition and was running fine until its unintentional bath with all its electrical components completely submerged in pond water for a couple of hours. It's been sitting unused for a few months now. I guess that its batteries will have been ruined but what else might have been damaged? Is there any way of checking whether it will still run without installing new batteries? Or should I just give it a miss?
Peter W is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-31-2017, 07:34 AM   #2
w4rwf
Getting Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Drowned 2008 Precedent

unless you're prepared to spend more money on it I would give it a pass. Don't know what their asking but you are probably looking at replacing the controller and mcor at a minimum. Motor is gonna need to be torn apart and checked, cleaned and probably bearing replaced. Here is a link to another thread on this site where the cart ended up in the pond http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...cart-pond.html

As always though the resident experts will be along to reply.

Good luck with it!
w4rwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 07:39 AM   #3
w4rwf
Getting Wild

Club Car

Then again, depending on how little or much they want for it, it could be a good deal even after the expense of getting it going again.
Old 12-31-2017, 07:48 AM   #4
BGoat
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

My view as a cart rookie-if one just wants a cart to ride around on, pass. If you're looking for a cart to modify, go for it if the price is right. The stuff that may be ruined is stuff that normally gets upgraded anyway... motor, controller etc. The rest is pretty much strip down and clean up.
BGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 10:32 AM   #5
Peter W
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks for the Cart in Pond link, w4rwf. Some of the comments made me smile.

At the moment they're asking for the ŁUK equivalent of about $700US, which I think is too much. It's really a question as to whether making them an offer of, say, $450, if accepted, would get me something economically viable to repair. Given that it's possible to pick up a decent 2008 Precedent with working batteries on Ebay in the UK for the equivalent of about $1600, I think I'll probably give the drowned cart a miss if I'm looking at having to replace the batteries and the controller as a minimum.
Peter W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 11:34 AM   #6
Htownblue
Gone Wild

Club Car

For a new motor, batteries, mcor, and controller and Solenoid your looking about 1500 - 1700 US plus or minus.
Htownblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 12:19 PM   #7
w4rwf
Getting Wild

Club Car

Anyway you slice it or dice it, irregardless of the expense to replace items that will need to be replaced, even buying used at good prices, you have a lot of work to do. If you are capable of doing them yourself, even with a ton of help from this forum then you can still come out ahead. You would have to make the decision to commit to what all would have to be done. Nothing about them is hard with the right help and a few tools.

Again, Good luck!
Old 12-31-2017, 03:11 PM   #8
WalterM6
Gone Wild

Club Car

I'd buy it in a minute. Then I would have a place to use all of these left over parts that I have from modifying my existing Precedent. Then sell the drowned cart to get my money back.
WalterM6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 04:05 PM   #9
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

Consider also, if you are looking for a standard golf cart for general use or golfing, you may want to just purchase a good running cart and pass on this one.

If you get this one and upgrade everything needed, you will have a cart that will do whatever you want it to do short of flying.

On second thought, some carts on this forum do that too!
Tom47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 04:54 PM   #10
Threewheelmotion
Getting Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter W View Post
I've been offered for a vey modest price a non-running 2008 Precedent that had rolled into a water hazard on a golf course. It's in good cosmetic condition and was running fine until its unintentional bath with all its electrical components completely submerged in pond water for a couple of hours. It's been sitting unused for a few months now. I guess that its batteries will have been ruined but what else might have been damaged? Is there any way of checking whether it will still run without installing new batteries? Or should I just give it a miss?
I got a 1990 club car DS for free that was flooded to the roof for a few days. It was an old bullet proof v-glide set up. I charged the batteries up and it ran like normal. I was not satisfied with the “normal” performance so I have torn it all apart and put around $2500 in restoration work into it. Now it has 48 volts “Trojans”, 400 amp controller, 2 gauge wires, HD solenoid, reversing contactors, new tires and rims, cleaned up motor and bearing, new seat covers, yada yada yada.... it runs like a scalded ape now and I am happy as a pig in mud. I would say if your handy and wanting a “large” project, then go for it !! Keep us updated and do a build thread to help others !! You may get the cart and get lucky. Might just be something small ??.?.?. Who knows !
Threewheelmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car