lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-04-2018, 01:29 AM   #11
ThreeCW
Gone Wild

Cushman

Default Re: Battery Regeneration

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheehank1 View Post
Please let me know if anyone has ever had their batteries restored.
I tried to "recondition" my 2013 vintage 6v USB125 golf cart batteries last year (3 year old batteries) due to suspected "sulfation" by using my 7.2 amp x 12v NOCO battery charger in the "desulfate" mode. This involved hooking up two 6v batteries at a time in series and running the "desulfate" cycle 4 to 5 times (about 1.5 hours per cycle) at ~15.0 to 15.5v if I recall correctly. The batteries charge at this higher voltage and would gas moderately with the idea of removing / reducing the sulfate condition.

Prior to desulfating the batteries, the fully charged (after stabilization) voltages were (+) 6.47, 6.47, 6.28, 6.39, 6.37, 6.40, 6.38, 6.40 (-) volts. As you can see, battery #3 was the weakest at 6.28v which was an 88% state of charge. All other batteries were just at or above the 6.37v / 100% state of charge.

After multiple desulfation cycles, the batteries had the following stabilized voltages:
Bat 1 - 6.49v (6.47v initial) = 0.02v increase
Bat 2 - 6.49v (6.47v initial) = 0.02v increase
Bat 3 - 4.40v* (6.28v initial) = 1.88v decrease
Bat 4 - 6.43v (6.39v initial) = 0.04v increase
Bat 5 - 6.43v (6.37v initial) = 0.06v increase
Bat 6 - 6.43v (6.40v initial) = 0.03v increase
Bat 7 - 6.45v (6.38v initial) = 0.07v increase
Bat 8 - 6.46v (6.40v initial) = 0.06v increase

* Battery #3 failed (possibly with a shorted cell) during the multiple desulfation cycles. Despite attempts to revive this battery with everything short of the Heimlich Manoeuvre and Mouth to Mouth Resuscitation, battery #3 failed to come back to life and the was replaced at the local battery shop with a tested "blemished" USB 235 amp-hr battery.

So I did see some minor increases in battery voltage / state of charge after the desulfation process … but I also killed an already weak battery.

Prior to trying the Xtender Battery Restoration process, I would give your batteries a full charge, allow the voltage to stabilize for 24 hours (off charge), number the batteries and record the stabilized, fully charged voltage of each battery. You can then compare the before and after fully charged, stabilized voltages to determine the initial condition and the restored condition of each battery.

Please report back with your findings, as this will be an interesting learning for many of the BGW members. Thanks!
ThreeCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car