lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-12-2018, 10:08 PM   #1
Wildernesscamper
Not Yet Wild

Default Need advice on electric motor replacement

I have a club car 48v cart that is lift d with 22” tires on it. After looking into it I believe that I have a bad motor. I am getting full pack voltage on the frame of the cart. The cart has an Alltrax 650 amp controller on it. I am new to electric carting and have no clue what is needed with the modifications done to it. I am not looking to have the most powerful cart or win drag races with it. All I want is to cruise around on it in campgrounds and maybe use it on my hunting land to get around reliably and without killing batteries to fast. I am looking for recommendations.
Wildernesscamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-12-2018, 11:52 PM   #2
Htownblue
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Need advice on electric motor replacement

Check your solenoid first. It’s the gateway between the controller and the motor for lack of a better term. Also depending on your cart you can test for a bad motor pretty easily.

If you do want to upgrade your motor, I’m a fan of the value that Plum Quick offers though many like the Admiral motors as well as a few others. Site sponsors can help you a lot with direction.
Htownblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 11:56 PM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Use this chart to ID the drive system then give the year of the cart or the serial # so we can know which cart you are asking about
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CC Regen I or II.JPG (115.5 KB, 0 views)
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 09:11 AM   #4
Wildernesscamper
Not Yet Wild

It is a 2000 DS Series. I am pretty sure the winding in the motor is shorted tot the case. The only time I get voltage on the frame is when you step on the accelerator. The cart still drives but I don’t think the voltage on the frame is right or safe for that matter.

Last edited by Wildernesscamper; 01-13-2018 at 09:17 AM.. Reason: Forgot to finish my thought.
Old 01-13-2018, 09:17 AM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Motor selection for the Club Car Series is a no brainer. Use the Admiral A1 motor for increased speed and torque.
Old 01-13-2018, 01:42 PM   #6
Wildernesscamper
Not Yet Wild

I understand that my controller is programmable. Will I need to change anything on it with that motor or is a plug and play?
Old 01-13-2018, 06:21 PM   #7
Htownblue
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildernesscamper View Post
I understand that my controller is programmable. Will I need to change anything on it with that motor or is a plug and play?
The motor is bolt on bolt off. Just make sure you get the wiring correct to the correct terminals.
Htownblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 06:31 PM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

There is no programming needed to switch motors in a series cart. Simply PnP
Old 01-15-2018, 04:12 PM   #9
Wildernesscamper
Not Yet Wild

Looking at the specs on the Admiral A1 motor it looks like the speed can be up to 25 mph with 22” tires. What is the likely hood of reaching that much speed? I am not sure I want that much speed because I am not the only one driving this thing and don’t want to hurt anyone. Is there a motor that will keep down around 18-20 mph?
Old 01-15-2018, 11:13 PM   #10
ThreeCW
Gone Wild

Cushman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildernesscamper View Post
I am pretty sure the winding in the motor is shorted to the case. The only time I get voltage on the frame is when you step on the accelerator. The cart still drives but I don’t think the voltage on the frame is right or safe for that matter.
I am certainly not an expert on electric carts but I have been reading the BGW forum constantly for 1-1/2 years and have not seen any mention of a failed motor causing what you describe as "getting voltage to the frame". I would think that if you had a dead short in the motor windings that the cart would not run.

How exactly are you measuring "voltage to the frame?

What trouble shooting / testing have you done on the motor?

Perhaps some additional trouble shooting is in order to ensure another electrical component is not at fault prior to replacing the motor (unless your motor trouble shooting indicates a definite fault).

You are correct that "voltage to the frame" would be a major concern and potentially dangerous problem.
ThreeCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car