lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-22-2018, 06:21 PM   #1
blounsbury
Not Yet Wild

Default Yewy UY1200z Tripping 15A breaker

Hey Folks,

I recently had my OBC die. Scotty B recommended the Yewy UY1200z charger to me. I've got it plugged in to a 15A circuit where it is the only thing on the circuit. The charger is plugged in to a 25ft, 12GA SJOOW extension cord and then into the 15A circuit. Its connected directly to the batteries through ring terminals. Every time I plug it in, it trips the breaker within a couple of minutes.

It's also showing a fault and 'over temperature' which causes it to pause charging for a while before continuing.

Any suggestions?
blounsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-22-2018, 10:27 PM   #2
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Default Re: Yewy UY1200z Tripping 15A breaker

If it was at full capacity then the Yewy is a 20 amp charger and your breaker would heat up and eventually trip since only rated at 15 amps.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 10:38 PM   #3
blounsbury
Not Yet Wild

Isn’t 20A the output current (at 60V) for charging? It’s input should be closer to 12A (assuming its ~80% efficient). The cord that comes with it is a 14AWG with Nema 5-15P plug, neither of which is rated for 20A.
blounsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 10:58 PM   #4
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Ah, good point, but the amperage is lower as the voltage rises. As it tops out the amperage is very low and part of the finishing charge.

Call scottyb and ask hm if this is abnormal and what might be going on. He was very involved with the company during the roll out.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 11:04 PM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

It can run on some 15a circuits but it's marginal. Other people with extension cords have reported a similar problem. I use a 50 extension cord on a 20a circuit with no problems. The breaker in question may be old or the outlet may be far away from the main panel. Lots of variables factor in. All garages should have a 20a dedicated appliance circuit. This is the best place to plug the charger in.
If the house is not new or the breaker has been tripped a lot you might try replacing it with a new breaker. Breakers do get weak with age and use.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car