lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-26-2018, 04:07 PM   #1
swbgw
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 03 48V Villager/DS IQ Club Car - No Reverse

Symptoms:

Forward - no issues
Cables and connections all clean/solid
Reverse buzzer comes on
Solenoid clicks when rocker switch is in R and pedal is pressed

Is there a reverse resistor on carts with the rocker style forward/reverse switch?

I thought this was a controller issue, but popped the cover off of the controller and everything inside looks clean. I didn't separate the boards, so it's possible that I wasn't able to see the damage if it is a controller issue.
swbgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-26-2018, 04:46 PM   #2
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Default Re: 03 48V Villager/DS IQ Club Car - No Reverse

Kinda sounds like a controller issue to me. If you put it in reverse and push it backwards while pressing the go pedal will it then move on its own?
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 05:19 PM   #3
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

The controller knows its in Rev as you are getting the Rev buzzer. Unless your F cable has burned up or lost its connection, you have most likely lost the FET in the controller for Reverse. You can swap the F1/F2 cables at the controller or motor as a test.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 10:09 PM   #4
swbgw
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFan4Ever View Post
The controller knows its in Rev as you are getting the Rev buzzer. Unless your F cable has burned up or lost its connection, you have most likely lost the FET in the controller for Reverse. You can swap the F1/F2 cables at the controller or motor as a test.
I believe I tested the F1/F2 cable swap and the cart worked perfectly in reverse - with the rocker switch still in forward. Would this still point at the controller?

If it's an issue with the FET, would there always be visible/obvious discoloration? Everything that I could see inside the controller looked good.
Old 10-26-2018, 10:11 PM   #5
swbgw
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
Kinda sounds like a controller issue to me. If you put it in reverse and push it backwards while pressing the go pedal will it then move on its own?
Haven't done this test - will try to make it happen this weekend.
Old 10-27-2018, 09:27 PM   #6
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by swbgw View Post
I believe I tested the F1/F2 cable swap and the cart worked perfectly in reverse - with the rocker switch still in forward. Would this still point at the controller?

If it's an issue with the FET, would there always be visible/obvious discoloration? Everything that I could see inside the controller looked good.
No, not always. But you have lost an FET as the controller has lost its ability to signal reverse. When you swapped the cables, you changed the Field direction manually and the cart ran in Rev not in Fwd so your problem is in your controller.
Old 10-29-2018, 08:51 AM   #7
swbgw
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFan4Ever View Post
No, not always. But you have lost an FET as the controller has lost its ability to signal reverse. When you swapped the cables, you changed the Field direction manually and the cart ran in Rev not in Fwd so your problem is in your controller.
Thanks for confirming. Since the cart otherwise works perfectly, another member suggested wiring an additional 30A DPDT rocker switch to allow for reverse. Aside from losing the reverse buzzer, which really isn't a loss for me, are there any other concerns with going this route?
Old 10-29-2018, 02:46 PM   #8
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Not sure of his idea and I am not big on bypassing or shortcuts, so I can only speak for me. I would replace the controller. If I cannot afford it, I would have it repaired. Problem with repairing is you still have all the rest of the 15 yr old electronics in there.....
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car