lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-15-2019, 08:58 PM   #1
ardb
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default '94 Club Car Rapid Start

Neighbor's 1994 Club Car, 36 volt, Curtis 1204-015 controller, 4 wire v-glide (with resisters).
Cart starts flat out at the slightest press of the pedal. No further acceleration while moving pedal slowly to the floor.
Opened v-glide, after taking first readings, to find the back side full of trash, (looked like dead roaches, they like those kind of places here in the south) Cleaned with electrical contact cleaner and got same readings. The slide is contacting only on the heel, (approximately bottom 1/3 of the surface) and rests touching the two bottom contacts at relaxed pedal.
Ohm reading on black and white wires with meter set at 200:
step: 1- 003, 2- 1124, 3- 1740, steps 4, 5, 6 read 1 (infinity)
My understanding is the readings should be between 0 and approx. 5000 ohms.

Measuring resistance (resistors) between posts: 3-4 1146, 4-5 638, 5-6 656, 6-7 770, 7-8, 862, 8-9 1102. Post 1 is black wire from controller post c, post 2 is blank, post 3 is white wire from controller post b.

Am I looking at replacing the v-glide or do I need to get diagnostics for the controller
ardb is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-15-2019, 09:47 PM   #2
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Default Re: '94 Club Car Rapid Start

Open the back side of the v-glide as you have damaged resistor(s) (The pads and arm are replaceable if needed...)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Varible Speed Potentiometer.jpg (124.2 KB, 0 views)
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 09:20 AM   #3
ardb
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks for quick reply, I did open back and full of dead bugs. Cleaned and see no apparent damage to resistors. With rapid start symptom, would it be that all resistors are damaged? Should current through resistor be directional as with diodes?

I see a Club Car resistor pack for '95 and up. Would this do for a '94 36 volt, with id# A9448, 1994 assuming 48th week of production.

Seems I read some time back of a member ordering individual resistors for a lot less money than what I am seeing for this kit with ends already soldered. This lady has limited resources and cart is her only transportation while in Florida.

Thanks for your help.
Old 01-16-2019, 11:18 AM   #4
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

I bet you saw no damage to mine that I posted but the 2nd one was bad and the resistance was faulty from there on....

A resistor is not polarized so it will work in either orientation. You need to check them as the culprit is there or at the pads. I have never ever bought a replacement, I have always repaired by using pads, an arm, micro-switch or resistors. It is a very simple design and operation wen you study it.

I use to buy my resistors at Radio Shack but they are all but gone now so it is on-line from Mouser, McMaster-Carr or any other online supplier.

Here are some more attachments to help you with what I have described.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0-5k_2wire_vglide.jpg (47.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: png wiper_adj.png (80.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 01-16-2019, 12:25 PM   #5
ardb
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks, after opening front side I new I need to adjust angle of sweeper. Not done yet.
I assume the reading of infinity on resistors #'s 4,5,6 are the problem.
Readings were taken with resistors still mounted to posts. Should I remove them and read again?
Did you just wrap end wires around posts or did you solder washers to them?
I think sweeper pad and others are usable. I will check more closely.
Yes, no Radio Shack around so appreciate sources you listed.
Old 01-16-2019, 01:17 PM   #6
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

You need to solder non-insulated ring terminals to the resistors.

Just grab each resistor by hand and make sure the leads are not broken at the resistor (You can see the broken resistor lead in post #5 in the picture NoleFan4Ever posted).

Here are some options for ordering the resistors:

910: https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail...pEfBOdww%3d%3d

620: https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail...IW%2f6WCXLs%3d

750: https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail...8QgphJ8gwt4%3d

820: https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail...bgM7hYhdhsc%3d

1100: https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail...luIQWyAQ%3d%3d
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 01:50 PM   #7
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

As me and Sergio noted, that resistor on mine was almost not noticeable, but I knew from the ohm readings that something was amiss. I just kept checking until I found the culprit. With it being on the second pad, all I would get was a "click" and then no movement. Up on jack stands the wheel would turn very slowly. Since they run in series, when you hit the bad one, nothing after that one will make a difference as the broken one breaks the resistance flow.

I have done these 100's of times..... It is no biggie whether it is pads, arm, resistors, etc. Unless you break the mounting posts or glide itself, you can pretty much replace everything else.
Old 01-16-2019, 01:59 PM   #8
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFan4Ever View Post
As me and Sergio noted, that resistor on mine was almost not noticeable, but I knew from the ohm readings that something was amiss. I just kept checking until I found the culprit. With it being on the second pad, all I would get was a "click" and then no movement. Up on jack stands the wheel would turn very slowly. Since they run in series, when you hit the bad one, nothing after that one will make a difference as the broken one breaks the resistance flow.

I have done these 100's of times..... It is no biggie whether it is pads, arm, resistors, etc. Unless you break the mounting posts or glide itself, you can pretty much replace everything else.
Unfortunately he has a 1994 36v cart, those things were death traps as far as throttle safety.

On that 0-5kΩ design, the instant the throttle hits a broken resistor and the circuit goes to infinite resistance, the controller goes into full speed
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 02:05 PM   #9
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
Unfortunately he has a 1994 36v cart, those things were death traps as far as throttle safety.

On that 0-5kΩ design, the instant the throttle hits a broken resistor and the circuit goes to infinite resistance, the controller goes into full speed
Yeah, I jumped ships between threads and forgot this was a 0-5k and not a 5k-0. But my meaning was more so that they are very repairable and parts are available compared to a new one. (And I feel bad for him as he is working so hard at trying to isolate/determine the problem - don't want to see him have to buy a new one)
Old 01-16-2019, 07:05 PM   #10
ardb
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

NoleFan4Ever & Sergio,
Thanks for the replies. I truly appreciate your help.
I seem to bite off more than I should, but the small retirement community that I live in, these old carts are primary transportation for elderly living on very limited income. High cost shop time really hurts their pockets. So I say, "Yes, I'll look at and see what can be done."
I have had one here for a few weeks. Old gent bought his deceased neighbors neat looking old cart that was sitting in a garage from the widow only to find on the way home it had no brakes. It is a probably 1975 Royal Ride, serial # 931. Yep, hydraulic brakes. I have now all the new parts, now to get it bled and working.
I'll do some more probing and see what needs to be replaced on the '94 tomorrow.
Good night
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car