lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-26-2019, 04:50 PM   #1
AWKW
Not Yet Wild

Question Batteries DEAD

Hey gang,

Left volt meter hooked up all winter - batteries completely dead.

Is there a minimum voltage for factory charger to start charging?

Once charging - how can I ensure charger stays on long enough to charge batteries fullly?

(Volt meter is just an in dash cheapo. Doesn’t go through obc

Still use and have factory charger and OBC)

(( 2012 club car Precedent ))

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by AWKW; 03-26-2019 at 04:54 PM.. Reason: Werds
AWKW is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-26-2019, 04:56 PM   #2
Dlab
Gone Wild

Default Re: Batteries DEAD

Not sure how that little volt meter drained the pack, but you should have at least topped the charge off monthly.

Your going to have to individually charge each battery with an external charger in order for you charger to click on.
Dlab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 04:58 PM   #3
AWKW
Not Yet Wild

Yeah - I should’ve been better but moving cart from campground to new house at end of the year and forgot.
Stayed outside covered but winter was cold like minus 28 for two days! Ooopsy
AWKW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 05:47 PM   #4
joesam
Gone Wild
Club Car

I had a friend who did something like that - in extreme cold. Better look under the battery caps. In his case, two of his batteries froze (this happens when batteries sit discharged in cold). The cases had cracked on two of them, and the water drained out. He did find a couple used batteries to cover the golf season; but the next year in spring - he had to replace the entire pack.
joesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 05:56 PM   #5
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWKW View Post
Yeah - I should’ve been better but moving cart from campground to new house at end of the year and forgot.
Stayed outside covered but winter was cold like minus 28 for two days! Ooopsy
All but impossible for the volt meter to drain your batteries, old batteries left to the winter elements is what killed your batteries. If not split from freezing you can without unhooking the cables charge each battery with a 12 volt automotive charger for a few minutes each until you bring up the pack voltage high enough for the cart charger to kick in.
teecro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 09:20 PM   #6
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWKW View Post
-snip-
Once charging - how can I ensure charger stays on long enough to charge batteries fully?

(Still use and have factory charger and OBC)
Once you raise the voltage enough in the pack to close the relay and start the charger, it will continue to charge until the process is completed. This could be up to 16 hours. If it reached 16 hours, the charger will time out and turn off. At this point you will have to unplug the DC cord a couple minutes and reinstall it or drive it a little but and come back and plug it in and it will start another charge.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 05:02 PM   #7
Toolmaker Bob
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by teecro View Post
All but impossible for the volt meter to drain your batteries, old batteries left to the winter elements is what killed your batteries. If not split from freezing you can without unhooking the cables charge each battery with a 12 volt automotive charger for a few minutes each until you bring up the pack voltage high enough for the cart charger to kick in.
My friend has the same problem with her cart. Her cart has (6) 8V batteries. Can I use a 12 volt automotive charger to individually charge the 8V batteries enough for the cart charger to kick in?
Toolmaker Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 05:47 PM   #8
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolmaker Bob View Post
My friend has the same problem with her cart. Her cart has (6) 8V batteries. Can I use a 12 volt automotive charger to individually charge the 8V batteries enough for the cart charger to kick in?
If the cart has an OBC, disconnect the pack negative cable before the procedure below to make sure the OBC resets while you charge the batteries.

Start with charging two batteries at the time, there is no need to disconnect the cables between the batteries.

After you finish measure the pack voltage, if you have over 36v just connect the pack negative cable back and use the regular charger.

If the pack is still below 36v, You can charge one battery at the time, but since you will need to disconnect the charger manually, most likely the pack will be out of balance.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 06:00 PM   #9
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolmaker Bob View Post
This I have done more than once for neighbors who have let their cart batteries flat out die while they are away for the winter etc.
teecro is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car