lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-28-2019, 10:05 AM   #1
billnet2
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default 12V Power Source?

I'm a newbie to the Golf Cart world. Bought a new Onward.

I want to add some 12v LED strips for lighting inside the dash area. Is the light switch 12v, such that I can tap into the switch ?

Thanks folks - Great forum
billnet2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-28-2019, 11:19 AM   #2
Brob1969
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 12V Power Source?

Likely the lights are 12v. First I would determine the source of the 12v before I tapped into it; sometimes people will simply tap the 1st two batteries in the pack. This is NOT what you want to do as it will drain those batteries much faster than the rest which will ultimately result in shortening the life of the entire battery pack. You want either a voltage reducer that is attached to the entire pack that steps the voltage down to 12v, or a separate 12v battery. I personally use a separate battery as I want my pack to be used solely for powering the cart.
Brob1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 02:36 AM   #3
yawood
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 12V Power Source?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brob1969 View Post
Likely the lights are 12v. First I would determine the source of the 12v before I tapped into it; sometimes people will simply tap the 1st two batteries in the pack...snip...
The OP is talking about a new Onward which comes with LED lights as standard. I don't know for sure but I would imagine that this means that it has a factory fitted 48V to 12V reducer.

billnet2, check the voltage at the lights or the light switch with a voltmeter to make sure it is 12V. If it is you should be able to tap into either spot for your light strip. Given that the standard lights are LED and so is your light strip there should be no problems with tapping one into the other.
yawood is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
12v accessory
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car