lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-12-2019, 08:58 AM   #11
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 97 club car charger won't click on

The gray wire to pack negative is just for testing, do not do this step if you are by-passing the OBC.

For all models the negative wire from the charger receptacle needs to go directly to Controller B- or pack negative battery post.

If You have a Series cart (Big lever for FNR) You also need to run the Yellow wire from the Solenoid small post directly to Controller B- or pack negative.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-12-2019, 09:04 AM   #12
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikec35 View Post
Thanks. I was able to get it to charge up to 59 volts yesterday before I unplugged it to go to bed. Reading the stickies there is a lot of info, kind of almost too much. It's easy to get lost. To eliminate the OBC on this cart I would disconnect the gray wire at the yellow fuse holder and run that wire to the battery pack negative. Is that it? I don't see the 6 pin wire connector on my cart that seems to come up in most all posts about bypassing the OBC. With the gray wire disconnected and run to the pack negative I am ok to run a new smart charger, correct? My cart is a model A9731-59138. Thank you
To bypass the OBC You need to do a bit more than that. I think you;ve confirmed the OBC is bad so next need to find out what drive system your cart has.
Series carts and Sepex carts have a different OBC. The series carts don't have the 6 pin connector that you probably see mentioned in most OBC bypass threads. It has a 3 pin triangle connector with different color wires. Still very easy to bypass regardless of which type, but either one the OBC will cause the cart to be inoperable if you don't bypass it properly.

So is you cart Series with the big FnR Lever?
Or Sepex, with the rocker switch FnR?
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 09:29 AM   #13
mikec35
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I believe I have a Series cart. When you say Controller B- or pack negative battery post that is the negative wire on the one battery that does not go to another battery pack?

mikec35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 10:08 AM   #14
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Right. Controller B- goes to the pack negative terminal, which is the last negative. This has the cable that runs through the center of the OBC.

To bypass the OBC, find the two 10ga black wires that come out the back of the OBC. One of those comes from the Charge Receptacle, the other is short and goes to the B- terminal on the controller. Cut them and connect them together, butt connector or solder and heat shrink, either way works. Now your Charger is connected straight to the pack negative.

You'll see the 3 pin plug for the OBC with Yellow, Red, and Brown wires. The yellow wire is the negative activation for the solenoid. It just needs to be connected to pack negative so the solenoid will function. You can cut that and connect it to the B- terminal on the controller with a 5/16" eyelet crimp terminal, or splice it into the connector with the two black wires. Either way works. Now the OBC is bypassed and you're ready for a smart charger.

You will not have a charger lockout, so the cart Will be able to drive while the charger is plugged in.
If you need to have a lockout so the cart can Not be driven while the charger is plugged in, there is a way to set that up which requires a few extra parts and some easy wiring.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 06:28 PM   #15
mikec35
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I found the gray wire attached to the yellow fuse holder was broken in half where it goes into the wire loom. Looks like possibly a mouse chewed the wire loom. I fixed the wire and plugged in the charger. The needle immediately jumps to about 10 for a couple of seconds, goes to 0 then back up to 10 to charge. Before this problem the charger would always wait a second or two before the needle would move and you'd hear it hum. Not sure what to think about the charger now, does this mean I have a bad OBC? Will it still charge like this? Thanks
mikec35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 06:33 PM   #16
buckeyejudge
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
Right. Controller B- goes to the pack negative terminal, which is the last negative. This has the cable that runs through the center of the OBC.

To bypass the OBC, find the two 10ga black wires that come out the back of the OBC. One of those comes from the Charge Receptacle, the other is short and goes to the B- terminal on the controller. Cut them and connect them together, butt connector or solder and heat shrink, either way works. Now your Charger is connected straight to the pack negative.

You'll see the 3 pin plug for the OBC with Yellow, Red, and Brown wires. The yellow wire is the negative activation for the solenoid. It just needs to be connected to pack negative so the solenoid will function. You can cut that and connect it to the B- terminal on the controller with a 5/16" eyelet crimp terminal, or splice it into the connector with the two black wires. Either way works. Now the OBC is bypassed and you're ready for a smart charger.

You will not have a charger lockout, so the cart Will be able to drive while the charger is plugged in.
If you need to have a lockout so the cart can Not be driven while the charger is plugged in, there is a way to set that up which requires a few extra parts and some easy wiring.
Is this the bypass for the sepex cart, or the series? I have a sepex cart I need to test and perhaps bypass.

Sent from my LG-M430 using Tapatalk
buckeyejudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car