lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-15-2019, 08:46 PM   #1
travis_24018
Not Yet Wild

Default Cart dead after solenoid failure

1990 Club Car DS, 36v, vglide with resistor coils. Had cart at beach on vacation and was driving all over the place (legal in sc). Stopped at a store, got back in cart and it was dead. Opened seat and found that one of the large terminals had burnt/broken off of the solenoid. Put cart on trailer and rented a gas cart.

On the way home I hit a huge hole in the road at low speed that was rough enough to dislodge two of the batteries.

Back at the house I ordered a new solenoid and swapped out the old one. The cart is still dead. I have power to the large terminals and power from the F/R limit/miniswitch to one of the small terminals. The other small terminal (from the vglide) seems to have around 10v when key is off but when key is on and throttle is pressed it has 0v. Does this mean my vglide is bad? I've read that there's supposed to be a safety resistor on one of the small terminals which I do not have. When the solenoid broke could it have shorted out something? I'm about ready to drive this thing off a cliff but it doesn't drive!!
travis_24018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-16-2019, 09:13 AM   #2
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Default Re: Cart dead after solenoid failure

Does your cart have only one solenoid? Or does it have the row of solenoids with the coils mounted on them?

Do the batteries have a full charge?
If any of the cables were stretched by the batteries being thrown around those should be replaced because they can be damaged internally. It would also be a good idea to pick up some battery hold down-bars and some new J-hooks to keep them in place. A battery that gets tossed against the frame and shorted can cause an explosion.

Are you measuring voltage at the microswitch in the V-glide or a the wiper switch?
Is there any burning or discoloration on the wiper or pads in the V-glide?
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 01:48 PM   #3
Budule
Gone Wild

Club Car

go over wiring one at a time and make sure none got pulled loose on either end...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg VdlideWiringcolor.jpg (60.6 KB, 0 views)
Budule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 03:30 PM   #4
travis_24018
Not Yet Wild

I don't have this wire and it doesn't appear like it was ever there - or at least not during my ownership. What does this wire do and is it needed?

I did notice that the wiper was not making it to the last plate. The copper on the wiper looks slightly deformed and I'm not 100% sure it's making contact anymore. I'm kind of wondering if maybe it melted in this process. Sure I get voltage at the contacts or at the wiper?

It has a single solenoid just like this diagram.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vglide.JPG (78.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 08-16-2019, 05:54 PM   #5
Budule
Gone Wild

Club Car

if vglide was not going all the way to the top , that's bad ...its kinda in-between and gets hot ….let me go look at mine for that wire ...I have same cart...
Old 08-16-2019, 05:59 PM   #6
Budule
Gone Wild

Club Car

that wire goes from vglide micro switch up to the charge port...just like pic...got knocked off in battery incident maybe ?...send us pics...of the vglide and stuff...
Old 08-16-2019, 06:00 PM   #7
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

That wire provides the negative path for the solenoid through the microswitch inside the V-glide.
It’s what completes the circuit for the solenoid and makes the solenoid turn on when you press the pedal. If the wire is not there, It’s possible someone removed it at some point and wired the solenoid so it only needs the key switch on to turn on.

All of the power for the motor runs through the throttle wiper arm on this setup. So if the wiper or the contact pads are damaged you will get no power to the motor.
It is common for the v-glide to fail on these because the drive system was designed for a golf course use where the cart only runs for a brief period, then stops. Continuous use or running at mid speeds for a prolonged time will eventually cause failure of the v-glide.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 12:50 PM   #8
travis_24018
Not Yet Wild

The black wire from charge port to vglide is definitely not there. I looked at vglide better and it’s still making contact, so I don’t think that’s it. Do you guys think I should try adding the missing wire?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2661DCE2-D5AF-4DD5-AA7F-CF5161AD2CE3.jpg (17.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 4CBB8E2F-07ED-44DD-A6B3-0B03C25A4369.jpg (19.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 08-17-2019, 12:51 PM   #9
travis_24018
Not Yet Wild

This is the charge port, but it’s hard to see.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7512ECC9-D10E-4C3C-A477-31FC8B240C74.jpg (16.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg F2949D33-813D-4366-91C4-EE7C91F5B9F4.jpg (12.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 08-17-2019, 02:25 PM   #10
travis_24018
Not Yet Wild

They have a wire from key switch going to the fuse area where the white cable is, then another wire from other side of key switch to the top of f/r mini switch. Then another wire from bottom of f/r mini switch to small solenoid post. So I guess they do have the bottom wire from vglide mini switch bypassed?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car