lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-21-2019, 12:32 PM   #1
bsa_bob
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default battery leakage and hoses?

It was mentioned here recently, That whoever said; they were going put; One drain hose on all 6 batteries. So different caps? Have tubes on them? coffee plastic milk jug bottom, and no more corroded aluminum' is this correct?or not that easy

bob s
bsa_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-21-2019, 02:32 PM   #2
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: battery leakage and hoses?

Unless you’re dealing with a fleet of a couple dozen carts, just get rid of the battery watering system. For an individual with one or two carts to care for you are far better off pulling the caps and visually inspecting each cell. Those watering systems are notorious for sticking float valves causing over and under watering- which adds to the mess you described.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 03:01 PM   #3
bsa_bob
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by meimk View Post
Unless you’re dealing with a fleet of a couple dozen carts, just get rid of the battery watering system. For an individual with one or two carts to care for you are far better off pulling the caps and visually inspecting each cell. Those watering systems are notorious for sticking float valves causing over and under watering- which adds to the mess you described.
Thank you for the help Meimk bob s i only have 6 batteries total
bsa_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 03:15 PM   #4
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

I think hes talking about a vapor/water collection system to prevent battery acid collecting on top of the batteries.

I would not try to run a vapor system like that, and certainly wold not have a collection canister or jug. One of the byproducts of the reaction that happens in a lead acid battery is Hydrogen, another is oxygen. Extremely flammable, and if you have a gallon sized jug of battery vapor from a freshly discharged set of batteries you can have a bomb under your seat. If your cart is named Hindenburg it may be fitting.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 04:14 PM   #5
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

Just keep the batteries clean and dry, also propping the seat up so air can circulate while on charge will help a lot.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 04:32 PM   #6
alchemy
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsa_bob View Post
It was mentioned here recently, That whoever said; they were going put; One drain hose on all 6 batteries. So different caps? Have tubes on them? coffee plastic milk jug bottom, and no more corroded aluminum' is this correct?or not that easy

bob s
I inherited what they call a single point water system (SPW). No way would I use that to fill my batteries and that was probably why the batteries were below the plates when I got it. I did however use it for venting the batteries away from everything. Basically it's caps that have holes with a fitting and seal on each and a hollow bar for all 3 caps which also has a seal and 3 way fitting(some with plugs where needed) with a hose that goes to the next battery and so on. I'll give them credit that the hose, fittings and seals, seal very well. On the final outlet (in the middle) I have a tube that drains behind and below the axle but it may be better to have it where there is an opening in the cart at the top as well so that hydrogen can escape. Hydogen+ Air = Bomb :) The first time I charged it I did not notice any significant pressure coming out. I also mentioned that Mercedes benz batteries have vents to the ground as well and never saw a corroded area on one of those.
Here's what I think happens with batteries with normal vented caps and someone might correct me. When I charge batteries with the caps off tiny specs or "mist" sometimes shoots as high as 18" even though you don't see it. I have the evidence on the underside of my aluminum bed. I'll never leave the caps off again on a golf cart while charging. With the caps on it collects around the vents and comes out with pressure anyway. I don't think how full your batteries are matters, well unless they are so full to "boil" over.
I still have to use regular vented caps because I don't have enough of the tube vented ones for my other carts so I'll just try to keep them washed down after charges. I also put rubber sheet around those batteries to keep acid away from stuff. Sprinkling baking soda on them or baking soda solution? I don't know. There's a lot of talk on that.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Flow-Rite-P...wAAOSwJHZdWCRV
That's for 8's. In my case just using for venting I took the large end fill fitting off.
alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car