lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-22-2019, 07:41 AM   #1
Macjazzy
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Precedent Madjax light kit install problems

So this is my first foray into golf carts. Wife decided she wanted one to run around the neighborhood, and I decided it needed to be cool! lol

We bought a 2014 precedent, totally stock. Then we ordered a madjax body kit, 6 inch lift, wheels/tires, Double take seats, and various other add ons. The body kit came with a bucket harness. On top of that I ordered what they call the ultimate upgrade kit. Which is the turn signals, horn and brake light switch.

I also ordered the voltage reducer and harness to plug into the bucket kit, and a separate 30amp voltage reducer for the radio and neon lights etc. (yes it's going to be a totally annoying cart like that! lol)

Here come the problems, First off none of these manufacturers have even marginally good installation instructions. And Madjax is horrible for that. None of the wiring diagrams, of which there seems to be plenty of different ones, match up to the harnesses I have.

When I first plugged in all the wiring the upgrade kit turn signal box went up in smoke immediately. I called Madjax, they said I got a bad box and sent me another.

Double check all my connections, and plug in the new one. No smoke, but no turn signals, or brake lights either. The light switch mounted on the stalk works, the horn works, and the headlight and tail lights work.

I have called Madjax again and they were no real help. I am an automotive technician with almost 30 years of experience on mostly american and English cars. So I should be able to get this to work. but not having a decent wiring diagram, or any real knowledge of how this turn signal system is supposed to work is limiting my diagnostic paths.

Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Macjazzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-22-2019, 08:05 AM   #2
ClubCar86
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Precedent Madjax light kit install problems

Had similar frustrations. I mixed and matched products to get the parts I wanted. No one had good diagrams, and a google search with multiple key words didn't come up with what I needed. In the end I just had to spend the time, make my own diagram and buzz out the wires/harness with a voltmeter. It's not the fastest, but will give you the most confidence, and in the end you'll have a great diagram for the next upgrade.
ClubCar86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 08:57 AM   #3
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

There are a few diagrams for madjax kits, but they all seem to vary depending on which one you have. And yeah, all of this golf cart stuff is China made, so decent tech support from the manufacturers is almost impossible.

Maybe you can piece something together from here: https://www.nivelparts.com/pages/sup...iring-diagrams

Try to verify that you're getting power to your turn signal switch. Also make sure that all of the lights are grounded back to the factory provided ground in the battery compartment. It's a black wire with a yellow female bullet connector.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 09:23 AM   #4
Macjazzy
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
There are a few diagrams for madjax kits, but they all seem to vary depending on which one you have. And yeah, all of this golf cart stuff is China made, so decent tech support from the manufacturers is almost impossible.

Maybe you can piece something together from here: https://www.nivelparts.com/pages/sup...iring-diagrams

Try to verify that you're getting power to your turn signal switch. Also make sure that all of the lights are grounded back to the factory provided ground in the battery compartment. It's a black wire with a yellow female bullet connector.
Appreciate the help, but I have checked this website, the diagrams they have dont match the diagrams they sent with the kits, nor do most of the wire colors match up. There is also older wire diagrams for these kits at various places on line that don't match anything either.

It seems like they change colors, connectors etc, randomly and don't change the diagrams to match. But to be fair to them, the instructions for the body kit didn't match up with the parts they sent on several pages as well.
Macjazzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car