lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-18-2020, 10:13 PM   #1
Ry the cart guy
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default 12’ precedent not charging after a zap

Got cart month ago finally got mods together to do work. Made a couple big sparks cart wouldn’t run figured out 30amp blue fuse in control area blew ok changed that. Cart runs now great !! Except day later go to charge and nothing from charger, yet charger works on buddies cart. 49volts at receptacle asm. Should gray wire give voltage? Is there a fuse elsewhere my knucklehead self is missing? Any help appreciated just spent a lot on fun mods so nervous of my issue fix...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ry the cart guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-19-2020, 09:31 AM   #2
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 12’ precedent not charging after a zap

If You are using a good voltmeter with a high input impedance, You should measure around 42v from pack positive to the gray wire.

If the voltmeter has a low input impedance, the OBC will detect it as as relay coil and bring the voltage on the gray wire near pack negative so the same measurement will be near pack voltage.

Did You alter anything on the OBC during your upgrades (new cables, enlarged OBC hole, etc)?

If not, make sure the gray wire quick connector did not come loose from the back on the OBC.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 09:55 AM   #3
Ry the cart guy
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Only wires I tapped off of where positive pigtail on battery and negative pigtail coming from control area to attach dc48 to 12v converter I first attached converter backwards which got big zap. Then later I tried to connect switch panel to key switch small arc.
Volt meter is pretty basic issue (ideal 61-310)
Will check again tonight if gray wire sending current.
Is gray wire fused tho cuz some diagrams I look at show it is. Would it b in wire loom between batteries heading to obc?

Old 02-19-2020, 10:22 AM   #4
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

No fuse on the gray wire on a Precedent.

Make sure you put the red charger wire back on the pack positive battery post.
Old 02-19-2020, 10:50 AM   #5
Ry the cart guy
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Thank you sir will check later this evening. Total newb to golf carts so that wouldn’t surprise me at all yet solid DIYer!

Old 02-19-2020, 01:43 PM   #6
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

If you have pack voltage at the receptacle I would think the red charge lead is connected.

Kinda sounds like the OBC got toasted.
There should be a connector on the grey wire near the receptacle. Make sure that's still connected and not corroded or broken.
If that checks out, unplug the connector and run a jumper wire from the receptacle grey wire to the pack main negative. (black cable that comes through the OBC). Plug the charger in and see if it turns on. If it does, the OBC has failed and will need to be replaced, or get a new smart charger.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 04:24 PM   #7
Ry the cart guy
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

That’s my fear that I fried obc if that’s the case then what’s the most sensible game plan new control or smart charger?

Old 02-19-2020, 04:37 PM   #8
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Nothing You mentioned would indicate a condition that could have fried the OBC, make sure the quick connector from that gray wire is not disconnected from the back of the OBC.
Old 02-19-2020, 05:41 PM   #9
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

I can't think of any good reason either, except maybe there was a power spike on the negative side and it zapped the transistors in the charge circuit.

The closest wiring diagram I have is 2014 and it shows an inline fuse in the grey wire, but I think that would be in one of the yellow fuse holders if it had it. I don't remember there being any fuses for the OBC on our 2013s unless there's one right by the OBC or somewhere near the other main fuse in the harness by the controller. Some kind of fuse holder would be pretty obvious I would think.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 05:58 PM   #10
Ry the cart guy
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

So getting no voltage from gray wire will remove batteries and open access shortly gotta get the monsters settled

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car