lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-04-2020, 06:35 PM   #1
Smooser
Not Yet Wild

Default Key switch / Limit Switch Issue

Ok guys this is my first post as I just got my first golf cart rebuild. ITs a 36v 85’ club car ds. I think the key switch to F/Rev limit switch to solenoid is connected incorrectly. The cart works forward and reverse with the power input on the key switch connected to the top plug of the limit switch and the key out connected to ground. I’m certain this was a hack to bypass something. When I connect the power side of the key to the + battery feed on the forward and reverse and the keyed switch side to the top of the limit switch, as shown in the wiring diagrams, the cart no longer moves forward or reverse but the power gets to the lights on the key switch when I press the pedal. I feel like the limit switch is not hooked up to the correct post on the solenoid. All the wiring diagrams are not clear enough for me to confirm this part. Any help is appreciated.
Smooser is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-04-2020, 07:09 PM   #2
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Default Re: Key switch / Limit Switch Issue

Some of those older carts had a negative key switch. Unhook it until this is figured out.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 07:14 PM   #3
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Yes. That cart came from the factory with a negative key switch. Look in the Club Car Electric "Stickys." There you will see the diagram for your cart.

"81-85 Club Car Wiring Diagram."
Old 03-04-2020, 07:19 PM   #4
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooser View Post
Ok guys this is my first post as I just got my first golf cart rebuild. ITs a 36v 85’ club car ds. I think the key switch to F/Rev limit switch to solenoid is connected incorrectly. The cart works forward and reverse with the power input on the key switch connected to the top plug of the limit switch and the key out connected to ground. I’m certain this was a hack to bypass something. When I connect the power side of the key to the + battery feed on the forward and reverse and the keyed switch side to the top of the limit switch, as shown in the wiring diagrams, the cart no longer moves forward or reverse but the power gets to the lights on the key switch when I press the pedal. I feel like the limit switch is not hooked up to the correct post on the solenoid. All the wiring diagrams are not clear enough for me to confirm this part. Any help is appreciated.
It sounds like somebody bypassed a bad key switch to get the negative.
Old 03-04-2020, 08:19 PM   #5
Smooser
Not Yet Wild

I replaced the key switch with a new one from amazon. Golf Cart Key Switch Off/ON Club Car. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00QNDC39Y..._PmfyEbTAFDSRA

I don’t think it’s the switch itself.
Old 03-04-2020, 08:32 PM   #6
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Did you look at the diagram? Is everything wired as it should be?
Old 03-04-2020, 08:34 PM   #7
Smooser
Not Yet Wild

Old 03-04-2020, 08:37 PM   #8
Smooser
Not Yet Wild

When I wired it like it is in the diag the cart stops moving and the key switch output works when I press the accelerator pedal. You’ll see in the images I just attached the original speed switches were replaced
Old 03-08-2020, 01:39 PM   #9
Smooser
Not Yet Wild

Mooncarter.... You were right it's a ground side switch. Much appreciated. I hooked the ground of the voltage reducer to the key to have it switch on with the key.
Old 03-08-2020, 05:00 PM   #10
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooser View Post
Mooncarter.... You were right it's a ground side switch. Much appreciated. I hooked the ground of the voltage reducer to the key to have it switch on with the key.
Good deal!

Tags
f/r limit switch, key switch, solenoid
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car