lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-29-2020, 07:32 PM   #1
icantdo55
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Small fire on the cart...

Its a 1999 Club Car DS 48v When someone was pulling out the dash to installa light switch one of the screws on the start switch grounded out on the body and lit the wiring harness on fire. What exact harness do i need? I tried ordering one already and it was all wrong.
Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg club car DS harness.jpg (219.6 KB, 0 views)
icantdo55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-29-2020, 07:42 PM   #2
WalterM6
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Small fire on the cart...

https://www.revolutiongolfcars.com/
WalterM6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 11:26 PM   #3
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Yup, contact David at Revolution. He will have it....
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 08:35 AM   #4
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Sorry to hear about your cart, at least it looks like you got it snuffed out before it took up the whole thing.

Like they said talk to David, he can get you the harness no doubt, but you may also need a new controller, and possibly some other parts. What shorted was the main voltage feed from the tow run switch to the key switch, which provides power to all of the important parts of the cart. That by itself would not cause damage to the controller, but the burning wires touching other wires would also cause multiple short circuits which can cause consequential damage to the controller or other parts.
Another issue I can see is that just the key switch power wire touching the frame should not have shorted out unless there is a connection to ground/battery negative somewhere on the frame of the cart. On an electric cart there should never be anything electrically grounded to the frame of the cart because it can cause problems just like this. If you have any lights or other accessories that are grounded to the frame, those need to be checked as well, and the ground wires removed from the frame.

I don't know if it's possible to test the controller without the wire harness, but I wouldn't be surprised if the controller is dead. David can get you everything you need to get it back up and running, it just might cost more than a $150 wire harness.

And for next time, Remember to Put the cart in Tow mode and Disconnect the battery pack main Negative cable before doing any work on the cart.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 11:42 AM   #5
icantdo55
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
Sorry to hear about your cart, at least it looks like you got it snuffed out before it took up the whole thing.

Like they said talk to David, he can get you the harness no doubt, but you may also need a new controller, and possibly some other parts. What shorted was the main voltage feed from the tow run switch to the key switch, which provides power to all of the important parts of the cart. That by itself would not cause damage to the controller, but the burning wires touching other wires would also cause multiple short circuits which can cause consequential damage to the controller or other parts.
Another issue I can see is that just the key switch power wire touching the frame should not have shorted out unless there is a connection to ground/battery negative somewhere on the frame of the cart. On an electric cart there should never be anything electrically grounded to the frame of the cart because it can cause problems just like this. If you have any lights or other accessories that are grounded to the frame, those need to be checked as well, and the ground wires removed from the frame.

I don't know if it's possible to test the controller without the wire harness, but I wouldn't be surprised if the controller is dead. David can get you everything you need to get it back up and running, it just might cost more than a $150 wire harness.

And for next time, Remember to Put the cart in Tow mode and Disconnect the battery pack main Negative cable before doing any work on the cart.
Thanks for all the help. I dont have any experience with these as you can see. So frame is not a ground.....hmmmm why did it short out then? It definitely was the green wire on start switch. I can follow its burnt case all the way back to a relay on passenger side of cart next to the controller. Still cant believe that there was no fuze to protect against this. This is the controller I have, it was brand new.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg controller.jpg (201.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 03-30-2020, 12:31 PM   #6
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

You can test the frame for continuity to the pack negative cable with the batteries disconnected. There should be No continuity. If there is, you need to start checking cables for anywhere they might be touching.

Also if there are ANY other wires connected to the pack, remove those and check them for continuity to the frame as well.
If you have a voltage reducer for accessory 12v power, make sure it is not grounded to the frame.

Check all of the large cables for anywhere they may be making contact with the frame, or any other metal part of the cart. Especially check the cables at the controller since that was recently replaced. Make sure the cable end terminals are not touching the controller case or any part of the controller mounting.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 10:15 AM   #7
icantdo55
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Well thanks for the hook up. Dave is a very knowledgeable individual! Spoke to him yesterday and picked up a new harness and controller. I'll post back on how the install goes once it arrives.
Old 03-31-2020, 11:03 AM   #8
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

Yep, you spoke to one of the best in the business.

Keep us updated!
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 11:16 PM   #9
icantdo55
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Ordered the IQ upgrade harness and controller, can anyone post the how to wiring diagram going from the Regen2 to the IQ?
Old 04-08-2020, 09:41 AM   #10
icantdo55
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Installed all new parts and she works great!
Thanks Dave!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car