lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-14-2020, 07:53 AM   #51
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: There has to be a better way

What You gain by switching from resistor to a controller is a more efficient and consistent partial throttle response and power delivery.

The top speed has a potential to get lower since with the resistor setup at full throttle the battery was directly connected to the motor and now it goes though the controller which is not 100% efficient.

Next time you go for a ride of at least 10 minutes, check all components and cables for heat.

What you are looking for is a cable or connection that is unusually hotter than the others as that would indicate a bottle neck on your speed.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-17-2020, 06:39 PM   #52
Corey_W
Gone Wild

Nothing is hot so I guess I’m good to go. A couple more questions.

I’ve seen a couple posts where guys have added one more battery to give 42v. Good/bad idea?

And for the switch for the reversing contactor does the voltage matter. I see some on amazon that are 24v. Does the voltage for the rocker switch matter?

And do those reversing contactors take place of my existing solenoid?
Corey_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 10:23 AM   #53
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey_W View Post
Nothing is hot so I guess I’m good to go. A couple more questions.

1. I’ve seen a couple posts where guys have added one more battery to give 42v. Good/bad idea?

2. And for the switch for the reversing contactor does the voltage matter. I see some on amazon that are 24v. Does the voltage for the rocker switch matter?

3. And do those reversing contactors take place of my existing solenoid?
I tried to answer this yesterday, but the Electric EZGO forum, along with everything I'd typed, disappeared when I hit the send button.

1. Adding another 6V battery will up the speed by about 16%, but you'll have to buy a 42V charger and replace the 36V solenoid, The picture of the controller label you posted indicates your controller is 36V to 48V, so it shouldn't have to be replaced. FWIW: Adding two more 6V batteries for 48V will up the speed by about 1/3 and 48V chargers and solenoids are easier to find.

2. The voltage rating for switches ought exceed (or at least equal)
the voltage they will be used with.

3. No, a reversing contactor only replaces the high amp portion of the mechanical F/R switch assembly.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 11:18 AM   #54
Corey_W
Gone Wild

Awesome thanks for the info. I might swing back around once my reversing contactors and switch make it in.

Probably sticking with the 36v seeing as how I just bought a new charger and they ain’t cheap.
Old 04-19-2020, 11:45 AM   #55
Corey_W
Gone Wild

I’m guessing this will probably be fine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7E0E62DD-769A-4F7B-9B23-CBE22261B411.jpg (52.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 04-19-2020, 12:03 PM   #56
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

Yes, that'll work fine
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 07:25 PM   #57
Andy4639
48/400/Alltrax HS motor

E-Z-GO

Talking Re: There has to be a better way

Controller mounting:
Go to Lowes are HD and get a piece of metal bend it to fit on the opposite side of the pot box(Potentiometer Assembly). Mount the controller there. It's gonna be tight no matter where you mount it though. Picture is of my old 89 cart. First year for Ezgo controller's.
The controller will give you much better battery life over all. The resisters use the full amount of power the batteries can give it weather you are running wide open are very slow. The resistors burn off the power at slow speed to let the cart run slow. With the controller it will only use what is needed to move the cart per the pedal position.

Reversing contactor:
installing a reversing contactor will help in the area of the weakest link also. The F/R switch on the old Ezgo's are good but they take a lot of amps to run the cart, after several years they get burnt and loosen up in the springs and other parts get weaker as time goes on. The F/R contactor is a good upgrade.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ezgo swipper board4.jpg (18.9 KB, 0 views)
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 08:16 AM   #58
Corey_W
Gone Wild

Anyone have a diagram for the reversing Contactors
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO