lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-27-2020, 09:38 AM   #11
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Best Batteries To Buy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel24v View Post
What kind of charger is required to charge US Battery vs the Trojans?
A charger with user adjustable finish voltages or profiles for specific batteries. A couple of examples are DPI and Lester summit 2. I have the summit 2 which has an app and connects to phone via bluetooth. You can input the batteries you have by brand and capacity so the charger uses the correct charge profile.
These chargers are better and cheaper than factory chargers.
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-27-2020, 10:24 AM   #12
Diesel24v
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by kernal View Post
A charger with user adjustable finish voltages or profiles for specific batteries. A couple of examples are DPI and Lester summit 2. I have the summit 2 which has an app and connects to phone via bluetooth. You can input the batteries you have by brand and capacity so the charger uses the correct charge profile.
These chargers are better and cheaper than factory chargers.
Interesting. So would you say that these chargers when used properly can prolong battery life vs the factory EZ Go charger? I have an RXV with the stock charger and will probably be looking at batteries in the next year. The US Batteries are $100 cheaper for the set of 4 for my cart locally so I was wondering if its worth spending the extra money on the Trojans or not.
Diesel24v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 10:50 AM   #13
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel24v View Post
Interesting. So would you say that these chargers when used properly can prolong battery life vs the factory EZ Go charger? I have an RXV with the stock charger and will probably be looking at batteries in the next year. The US Batteries are $100 cheaper for the set of 4 for my cart locally so I was wondering if its worth spending the extra money on the Trojans or not.
First,chargers: Factory chargers are preset to a certain voltage for automatic cutoff. Battery manufacturers recommend a finish voltage for their products that often differ from the preset voltages of factory chargers so they are a compromise. Some after market chargers can be set to specific brand and model of battery giving the user a better chance at satisfying performance.

Second, batteries: Trojan, US and Crown have been the 3 top recommended brands on this board for a number of years. US in particular recommends a higher finish voltage than the others. US put out a memo about this some years ago. They will do better with a charger that can be set to them (theoretically).
BUT........

No matter the brand of battery or charger, the key to long battery like is: good maintenance and charging discipline.
1- keep them clean
2- keep them watered---Too much is almost as bad as too little
3- Keep them charged---charge after use and don't let them sit in a partially charged situation for very long eg: not days or weeks

Trojan has a user guide that is very good and will apply in general terms to all flooded batteries.

Currently I have a set of Crown CR190s that started their 7th year in Feb. Spent their entire life on a DPI smart charger. AND good maintenance
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 11:19 AM   #14
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Contact US Battery to find out if your make/model charger will fully charge their batteries.

US Battery charging recommendations attached.

-------------
FWIW: MY Exide GC-145 batteries were purchased 13-Nov-2012. They have been in use, on charge or on float charge since then.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf usb-charging-recommendations.pdf (2.33 MB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO