lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-18-2020, 08:27 PM   #1
Idlehands
Not Yet Wild

Default Help with my front bumper mount - 2008 DS

So I took my front cowl off on my 'new-to-me' 2008 Club Car DS. What I found was a mangled mess of metal and aluminum. I know this isn't right, and I'm not looking for perfection, but I at least want the bumper mount attached to the frame. My DS lived a hard life previously at a golf course, and had some shotty repair work done, from what I can tell. I can't blame them too much though, to them these cars are money makers and they just need to run, doesn't have to be pretty. And I knew going in I was buying a rental car....we all know how rental cars get treated.

Well I want it fixed correctly and I've found my first big head scratcher (see pics). I'm thinking it's better to just re-weld the front bumper support and ditch the 'extra stuff added by the golf course mechanic, I'm just not sure of the 'right way' to do it. I also have a few other pieces throughout the car that will need to be welded but I've got those figured out.

I'll be calling a local mobile welding guy to come do the job, just need to make sure I give him the right information on what to do. anyone have any tips or recommendations?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0169.jpg (192.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0170.jpg (190.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0171.jpg (190.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0173.jpg (183.1 KB, 0 views)
Idlehands is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-19-2020, 08:48 AM   #2
Timscarts
Getting Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Help with my front bumper mount - 2008 DS

I bet if you Check out the rest of the frame you'll find a bunch of cracked welds, pretty common on a ds that's had a rough life.
Timscarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 09:59 AM   #3
retiredtech
Not Yet Wild

when welding be sure that all the electrical is unhooked. the computers cannot handle the voltage spikes from welding.
retiredtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 10:12 AM   #4
Spoolx
Gone Wild

Here is a pic of my front end, hope this helps
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 418872C5-E719-4BE0-9080-EC6E116E15AC.jpg (179.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 61A8A7E6-8844-41F2-8C55-FB49CA89FA5A.jpg (193.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg F49CF1A0-C0A5-431F-95D9-87320AC016AF.jpg (172.9 KB, 0 views)
Spoolx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 08:32 PM   #5
Idlehands
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtech View Post
when welding be sure that all the electrical is unhooked. the computers cannot handle the voltage spikes from welding.
So I've already unhooked the main positive and negative sides of the batteries, but do I need to unhook anything else?

When I took off the rear body, I had to disconnect the f/r switch, charger connection, so I unhooked the negative side, then the positive side and they are hanging under the cart at the moment. Just want to be sure I'm not missing anything. The last thing my wife wants to hear is I need to spend another $1500 on a motor, controller, solenoid, cables, OBC, and all the other stuff I fried when the welder came out.
Idlehands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 07:32 PM   #6
retiredtech
Not Yet Wild

whenever I weld on a car I unhook the batteries to protect the computers. if you have the body off already and are going to weld a bunch it wouldn't hurt to take more off but probably not necessary.
retiredtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car