lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-21-2020, 10:25 AM   #1
SCDJW75
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Sloppy Steering

Just upgraded my 97 36v EZGO TXT To 48v. The cart came used with 6” drop axle lift, 8” wheels with 22” tires, and plum quick speed motor.

Recent Upgrades: 500 amp alltrax controller, F/R switch, new ITS, HD solenoid, 4ga cables, new Trojan batteries, new seats, and some new bushings and tightened up the steering.

Although the steering is better than before it still has a lot of play and the cart wants to wander a bit, (alltrax is turned down for now) cart is a double duty kids and neighborhood use and hunting cart for me this fall.

I plan to replace the drop axle lift with a Jakes long travel kit in the future and change out the old 8” wheel tire combo with 10” or 12” wheels and 22” tires to limit some of the bounce from the current wheel setup. Will I see a noticeable improvement in the steering with the Jakes long travel kit? The upgrades were completed at a local shop and he said he did as much as he could for the steering issue without doing a full replacement. Is there a better option for steering upgrades than stock, I know EZGO changed the steering system after 2001.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg B9C7AD0C-4FAB-4D81-A222-DA94DE09B545.jpg (234.5 KB, 0 views)
SCDJW75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-21-2020, 11:53 AM   #2
genoz
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Sloppy Steering

Have you replaced the steering box assembly? I had same issue until I replaced it.
genoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 12:02 PM   #3
SCDJW75
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I’m assuming you mean this, see pic. I figured that would be an option but I’ve also read it’s a bad design. I wasn’t sure if there was a better option or if a long travel kit would replace the steering system as well? I’m new to carts, never had one before. I’ve read up on replacing with ATV front ends but I don’t want to get that involved with it. Plug and play for me.
Attached Images
File Type: png 6677964E-452D-4E73-ACA3-F374E07EADFE.png (1.26 MB, 0 views)
Old 08-21-2020, 12:50 PM   #4
camaroluvz28
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I wouldn't call it a bad design...but it is a very simple Rack and pinion design...they make rebuild kits for these that will save you a ton of money rather than replacing it...and its not that bad a job, I did them on the road out of a van many times for the last company I worked for.
camaroluvz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 01:23 PM   #5
SCDJW75
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks Camaro, I’ll start with a rebuild kit a go from there. I’m fine with turning wrenches, but electrical is definitely not my strong suit. Guess I better get over that now that I have an electric cart and a boat with intermittent wiring problems.
Old 08-21-2020, 01:26 PM   #6
camaroluvz28
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Indeed...grease the rack and pinion before inserting into housing for a smooth install...check the boots on both ends for cracks or rips and replace them at the same time and it will last another 23 years! as for the boat...just throw money down the well and save time...lol
Old 08-21-2020, 04:25 PM   #7
SCDJW75
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Haha, no way I love going fishing too much.
Old 08-21-2020, 05:39 PM   #8
genoz
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

I tried the rebuild kit and it was a pain to try to take everything apart under the cart. Returned it and just went for the entire box. Figured that it was worth the little extra cash for new boots, etc.
genoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 06:06 PM   #9
camaroluvz28
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by genoz View Post
I tried the rebuild kit and it was a pain to try to take everything apart under the cart. Returned it and just went for the entire box. Figured that it was worth the little extra cash for new boots, etc.
I’m a little confused on this to be honest...you had to remove the entire assy to replace it correct? So why not rebuild it after you removed it in the first place? You def can’t rebuild it while it’s still connected under the cart...
Old 08-21-2020, 09:19 PM   #10
Cobra,1
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I would check front end alignment before replacing parts.
Many times a “wandering” steering can be cause by too little toe in and toe much toe out.
Your going to need to do front end alignment if you decide parts need to be replaced anyhow.
Why not check it and eliminate it as the cause now 😊

If alignment correct, have someone in cart moving steering wheel back and forth
While looking under cart at steering components to check for un needed slop in linkage.

Problem may be as simple as alignment or bad tie rod end.
These simple checks can pin point problem and could safe $’s in the end👍
Cobra,1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO