lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-16-2020, 06:03 PM   #1
boandbabs
Not Yet Wild

Default solenoid upgrade

I just bought the Curtis Albright SW80-1970 for my 2003 36v ezgo pds cart. On the White Rodgers the wires are connected to the 2 terminals. On the new one there are 4 terminals for the small wires. Does every spade get a wire? Are the positive terminals connected, are the negative connected? I have a blue & black wire on one terminal & 2 yellows on the other. I believe one yellow & one black goes to the hour meter. On this new solenoid on which spades do I put the wires? I understand the yellows go to the positive & blue & black go to the negative. Just making sure I am correct with the spade placement. This was supposed to be a easy swap but I will have to modify some wire length & possible the cover to get it to bo back on with this solenoid. Thanks for all the help.
boandbabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-17-2020, 01:48 AM   #2
ThreeCW
Gone Wild

Cushman

Default Re: solenoid upgrade

Before you hook this up, check for resistance between the two top spade connectors with your ohm meter ... the top two spades should have continuity (zero resistance).

Then check for resistance on the bottom two spade connectors ... they too should have continuity (zero resistance).

Then check the resistance from either top spade connector to either bottom spade connector ... this should give you the coil resistance ... there should be some measurable resistance in the coil (my WAG is between 50 to 150 ohms but I could be way off).

If the spade connectors check out as described above, then you should be able to wire your SW80 as shown in the diagram below (note that the diagram example is for a SW180 ... but wiring should be the same).

Specs are also attached below for your SW80.

Perhaps post a photo of your SW80 just to make sure that we are on the same page.

SW180 Wiring.jpg
Attached Files
File Type: pdf SW80-Data-Sheet.pdf (908.2 KB, 0 views)
ThreeCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 08:53 AM   #3
boandbabs
Not Yet Wild

thanks for the advice.
Old 12-17-2020, 09:01 AM   #4
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Please note that your positive wires (yellow) have to be on the same post (either side as they are connected to each other) as the side of the diode with a stripe.

If You have a diode already soldered to one side then the polarity has already been established (top and bottom) and you need to make sure yellow is connected to the striped side.

If You still going to mount the diode than you can choose either top or bottom for the orientation and which side to place the diode, whichever is more convenient for your installation.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 09:23 AM   #5
boandbabs
Not Yet Wild

Thanks
Old 12-17-2020, 12:06 PM   #6
boandbabs
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for all the help. I got it going. I left the hour meter disconnected. With the hieght of the new solenoid it was very tight getting the cover back on. Plenty of slack in cables to make it work. I had to open the cutout in the bottom of the cover a little more. Thanks again for the help. I hope this will work good with my 350 amp controller.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO