lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-16-2020, 09:01 PM   #1
GradyTX
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Where do you talk about motors?

Hey guys, wanted to talk specifically about different motors. I am not sure if that is here or if you have a forum where you discuss specific reviews etc... so, will add it here just in case.

So, I think I am going to go with the following and will explain why.. and my thinking. Please feel free to correct me if I am off my rocker.. heh. I have literally nothing but the cart so, clean slate. The purpose is, I am not sure on the exact motor just yet, so will throw out one or two at the end, and you can tell me if anyone thinks they are good or if there are better choices, please. Thanks!

Alltrax SR48500 - Landed on this because the cost is nice.. and, I do not think there is an easy/clean solution in Navitas that has the wifi / bluetooth ability without a bunch of extra parts anyway, which drives the cost up so... the 400 is 'sufficient'... the 600 is 'more than I need'.. so, landed in the middle, just to have "wiggle room" lol

I figure on the MZJ400A solenoid to handle that....and I need to replace the heatsink/mount as the one that I had broke.

I figured to swap the Series F/R switch with a dash switch, so looking at the SW202 reversing switch.

I am told 1-AWG is overkill, so will get a full 2-AWG wiring kit.

Also, will find a reducer/12-volt setup to enable me to add accessories. I figured to do like I do my boat and run a sub-panel under the dash and then come off that to any accessories.

Lastly, I was looking at Trojan T-875, (6) batteries. Maybe I can add 2 more later and get longer life / run time?

So, the motors I am looking at are:

D&D ES-51-25 or the Admiral line.. perhaps the MOD-B4? I think someone mentioned the B-1, but curious of the difference. I have not nailed down a motor because I am still trying to learn more about them and the max vs peak is an interesting detail. I know I have mentioned it, but max speed is not my thing, consistent is the think I like.. but would like 15 to be the avg heh.

Oh, I plan to add a key lock mode control switch.... for the kids :P

So, there are motors like .. I think something like 7126, and others? Not looking for a $1k motor, but also not looking for cheapest. Trying to find reviews and not seeing many out there so, anyone with insight, would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Russ
GradyTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-16-2020, 09:14 PM   #2
Croqezgo
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: Where do you talk about motors?

What is your cart model and year?
Croqezgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 10:11 PM   #3
orangeman6
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

The sr48500 is a great choice. Alltrax is what most guys here upgrade to. You can get the fn switch to dial down the performance. Btw, that switch can be deconstructed and you can install just the knob.

The mzj solenoid seems to be the go to choice and will operate at 36 or 48v

Definitely go with the reversing contactor. It’s much easier to operate and doesn’t require occasional adjustment like the old style f/r.

I’ve heard overkill is underrated here numerous times, but I think I’ve read that 2g is already overkill per the specs. Order the 8v set in case you go to 8v batteries in the future. The cables are a little longer since the post layout is different on 8v’s.

I’m partial to emp motors. I hear those other choices suggested often here, so I’m sure they’re excellent choices. However, emp will spend a decent amount of effort understanding exactly what you want. You have to fill out some information on the cart, and how you use it, but that’s so they know exactly what to build you. I think their prices are inline with comparable motors.
orangeman6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 05:47 AM   #4
GradyTX
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Thank you for a very helpful reply. I really appreciate it. Sometimes I get over-zealous when I start a project and ask way too many questions and drive the "locals" crazy heh.. but, I promise I am reading as much and as fast as I can on the side.. heh...so this is super helpful info.

I also plan to go 8v, so will make sure to geth the longer cables. I thought the Trojan 875 was the 8v, but will re-check to make sure that I had the right model #.

EMP.. will need to verify which that is. I have seen "blue ones" and "red ones" lol.. The D&D and Admiral, if I recall. I heard of the 7126 or something, that may be the EMP you speak of. I will go verify that as well.

Again, thanks for the direction!

I like a plan.. heh.. just have to picture it start to finish with a goal before I start to keep from buying unneeded items ;)

Russ
Old 12-17-2020, 05:48 AM   #5
GradyTX
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croqezgo View Post
What is your cart model and year?
Oh, sorry.. thought I mentioned that.

1996 EZGO Elec TXT. I actually have a brand new stock F/R switch, will sell it or give it to someone that needs it heh.
Old 12-17-2020, 07:22 AM   #6
Reddawg454
Grumpy Old Guy

Club Car

EMP is Electrical Motor Products, a company. They have you fill out a questionnaire and design a custom motor to your specifications. Their prices are competitive. Google is your friend.
Reddawg454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 08:21 AM   #7
GradyTX
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Google and I go way back. I saw that one... and I tend to shy away from "fill this in and we will get back to you, so it did not stick out.

I am not anti-social... I just tend to try not to pull anyone's strings until I am ready to buy as I hate to tick annoy them.. and as with the Grady folks.. it is a tight knit community so.. heh

Will go fill out the form and see what they say, thanks

R
Old 12-17-2020, 09:25 AM   #8
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

GRADY....you have selected a SOLID BUILD up this point....your down to the motor. my build is nearly identical with the exception the the F&R switch....my build is a littler older and it wasn't an option at that time....YOU mentioned the AMD 7126 motor, which is whay I am running, as well as a few others here......I am lifted running 23" tall tires. ALSO I started my build as a 36v cart and ran it that way far about 4 years.....at 36v, it would easily run 25 mph all day.....after I upgraded to 48v after getting a new set of batteries (6x8v) it runs 30 mph. SOOOO if speed isn't your thing, you may want to chose one of the TORQUE motors like the Admiral MOT-B1.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 09:32 AM   #9
GradyTX
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Mr.. er.. Sir Nuke!.. lol. Thanks;) Actually.. that was the motor I was looking at. I was curious.. eh, versioning.. SQL guy.. lol. The MOD-B1 is specifically for the TXT, or is it an older/different version of the MOD-4?

The Mod-1 with that controller seems to be the go-to, so leaning there as well, but I have a bit of time before I have to choose. I have to buy an A/C for my boat before I can get any major parts for this lol.

I like speed, but I had a Polaris Ranger.. sold/gave it to a friend that really needed it more than me...wish I had kept it lol. Anyway, so here I am. I do not care if it goes over.. say 25? That being said, no-one wants to be the guy that goes 30....till he sees a hill, and then they are pushing lol

I think the hard part is finding that "happy medium", but the MOD-B1 is at the top of the list atm ;)

Thanks Sir!

Russ
Old 12-17-2020, 10:44 AM   #10
Croqezgo
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Grady,

I redid a 2001 TXT for my dad a while back. It was the PDS version but I can tell you this.

Alltrax controller xct 500 amp, two thumbs up (more if I could!)

2 AWG welding cable on all main power cables and the motor, definitely a big change especially with heat build up on the cables. Even 4 AWG seemed a little too light

Trojan T-875s are the correct cells. I have used that and the US battery equivalent. Both were great and last the same if cared for.

I can vouch for D&D motors. Don Plowman (site sponsor) is always happy to talk to you about your cart and really help you get the right setup. I have also used FSIP motors. This is from Flight Systems and the motors have been pretty great. Most of the site sponsors like Carts Unlimited and Plowman's are able to speak with you and go over pros and cons.

I think all of the items you have researched are great options and you will have a pretty strong cart. Do a lot of research and you won't break the bank either!
Croqezgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO