lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-22-2021, 05:08 PM   #11
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Help with solenoid wiring - Medalist

Most likely a separate issue. That looks like a distribution buss for 12V and the solenoid activation circuit is battery pack voltage.

Probably a loose or dirty connection that gets hot and has discolored over time, or it could be the amp draw of whatever the blue wire goes to is a little high for the connectors being used.

To find out what it is, pop the fuse and see what no longer works.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-22-2021, 05:45 PM   #12
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Also, that looks like a pretty high amp fuse in the discolored clip.

Something like this works a lot better for stuff that draws more than about 10A.
https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Sea-Syst...s%2C158&sr=8-3

They come with more or fewer fused circuits and with or without negative bus.
Old 01-22-2021, 10:28 PM   #13
DubK
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks for the suggestion. I just ordered that. Now just waiting on a microswitch and this fuse box to come in then I'll post some updates when I install them. Thanks
DubK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 01:07 PM   #14
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Old 01-24-2021, 03:10 PM   #15
DubK
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Well no luck. I installed the new microswitch MS3 in the pedal box and installed a new MS2 switch on the F&R and it's still not working. Is it possible I ruined the solenoid by sparking it a couple times from installing the + and - wires backwards the first time? As far as the other two switches in the red on the diagram you posted..the key switch seems to be fine. It turns power on as I hear the backup beeper and the lights work with it on. Kills all power when off. Could it still be bad and should I change that out as well? And the other switch...I'm not seeing a switch or red wire coming out of the charger receptacle like the diagram shows. Just the white and black wire. It charges fine. Stumped. I'm thinking I have the solenoid wired up wrong or I ruined it by sparking it.
Old 01-24-2021, 03:20 PM   #16
DubK
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Here's a pic of the old solenoid connected and the new one. I connected all the little red positive wires to the top post (there were 2 red wires and 2 black total on the old one so switched them right over to the new one)...and connected the 2 little black wires to the bottom post with the adapter you mentioned. Stuck the diode on the opposite side. Anything look funky?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20210121-174453.jpg (83.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20210124-141332~2.jpg (97.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 01-24-2021, 05:26 PM   #17
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubK View Post
Well no luck. I installed the new microswitch MS3 in the pedal box and installed a new MS2 switch on the F&R and it's still not working. Is it possible I ruined the solenoid by sparking it a couple times from installing the + and - wires backwards the first time? As far as the other two switches in the red on the diagram you posted..the key switch seems to be fine. It turns power on as I hear the backup beeper and the lights work with it on. Kills all power when off. Could it still be bad and should I change that out as well? And the other switch...I'm not seeing a switch or red wire coming out of the charger receptacle like the diagram shows. Just the white and black wire. It charges fine. Stumped. I'm thinking I have the solenoid wired up wrong or I ruined it by sparking it.
If your cart is wired the same as the schematic I posted, the key switch doesn't have to be on for the reverse beeper to sound. Only MS-4 on the F/R assembly needs to be closed. Also the 12V lights are on separate set of key switch contacts than the 36V solenoid.

Wiring the solenoid coil backwards may have damaged it. Also, I cannot tell if the diode in the picture is installed correctly or not. The banded end goes to the "+" terminal, but I cannot see a banded on either end of the diode.

If the coil is polarized, the big terminals may be also. Are the + and - signs close to the top terminal like those on the small (coil) terminals?

Pictures of the top wiring needed.

Try it without the diode connected. (Install a known good diode after cart is running right.)
Old 01-24-2021, 06:56 PM   #18
DubK
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

You are correct the backup beeper works without key being on.

The diode is on correctly. The band is just hidden on the back side because it doesn't go all the way around. But it's on the top (+) post. I got the diode off a new solenoid that I had on my other cart so I know it's a good diode. I put it on after all the sparking occurred so it's not damaged.

And yes the top big terminals are labeled with a + and -. I have the positive going to the battery and negative going to controller B+. I keep looking at wiring diagrams over and over and I'm not seeing ANYTHING I have wrong. Unless like you said I have a bad switch or ruined the solenoid. it also still doesn't work with the diode disconnected.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20210124_172639.jpg (130.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20210124_172656.jpg (140.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 01-24-2021, 08:12 PM   #19
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Do you get 36V on the small terminal with the red wires on it when you push the pedal?

If so, the solenoid is bad.

If not, there is a bad switch or connecting wire.
Old 01-25-2021, 12:37 PM   #20
DubK
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
Do you get 36V on the small terminal with the red wires on it when you push the pedal?

If so, the solenoid is bad.

If not, there is a bad switch or connecting wire.
I get 38 volts on the small red + terminal no matter if the gas is pressed or not. Solenoid doesn't click at all when gas is pushed. Constant 38 no matter what. Does this mean bad switch? Only switch I have yet to change is the key switch

Tags
ezgo, medalist, solenoid, sw180
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO