lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-29-2021, 07:56 AM   #1
DGKeowee
Not Yet Wild

Default Rxv on order - wheel question

I've ordered a cart from a dealer based on input and research on this forum. THANK YOU! The dealer is letting me pick all the cosmetic options for my 2017 RXV cart, from body color, all options, etc... Everything is picked out but I NEED SOME ADVICE ON WHEEL AND TIRE SIZE. (I will mostly be riding on street but occasionally might want to drive in my sloped yard and natural areas around the neighborhood).

My 2017 RXV cart is NOT LIFTED so here are my options:
(I think they are limiting overall height to 20" of the tires/rims combined. They did say they would trim the plastic on the rear tires so they would not rub).

My PREFERENCE is a 14" Vampire rims and 20" Steelent Stinger low profile All-Terrain tires. DO YOU THINK THIS WILL WORK?
If anyone has any pictures of this set up I would love to see it on a non-lifted cart.

My other options are:
14" Vampire rims and Steeleng low profile street tires.
12" Vampire rims and Steeleng Stinger All-Terrain tires.
12" Vampire rims and Steeleng street tires

FIRE AWAY!!! THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!
DGKeowee is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-29-2021, 09:23 AM   #2
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Rxv on order - wheel question

As long as the total height of tire and wheel is 20.5 inches or less it will be fine. This is also important if you want Bob Boyce to eventually tune your controller which might be as option based on where you live (SC).
Also highly recommend dual action rear springs if you are going to have a rear seat or any significant weight on the back especially with the large diameter tires. A reputable dealer should have mentioned this to you.
Cart below has 14" wheels and 225/40-14 tires. No rubs with appropriate rear bumper trimming and the aforementioned springs even with ~500lbs on the back. (Not lifted)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0631.jpg (612.6 KB, 0 views)
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 10:30 AM   #3
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

May want to upgrade the battery cables while it is getting built. At least 4ga. If you get it programmed it will run cooler.
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 11:16 AM   #4
Reddawg454
Grumpy Old Guy

Club Car

I think you'll get a better ride with the 12's as there is more sidewall to flex if thats a concern.
Reddawg454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 01:56 PM   #5
DGKeowee
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by kernal View Post
...This is also important if you want Bob Boyce to eventually tune your controller which might be as option based on where you live (SC).
What does tuning the controller do? Is that just because of the type of tire set up I'm suggesting or just something overall that helps the cart performance? Dealer is upgrading battery cables to 2ga.

(by the way, my cart came from Pebble Beach golf course and has 598 hours on the AC motor). I see no evidence of rust on my inspection underneath.
Old 01-29-2021, 02:25 PM   #6
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Cart will likely be speed limited to ~15 mph coming from a golf course. If you want to go faster, the dealer can set it to 19.6 mph with a 2 step process. An electronic key sets the speed at 17.5 and then a hand held scanner can set the remaining 2 mph. All this on the standard 18" tall tires. When the dealer does this the torque is reduced by some percentage I don't remember off hand. When you put the larger tires (20" or so) on it you change the final drive ratio effectively "gearing it up" and the new top speed will be in the 22-24 mph range. This is still a very strong cart compared to DC carts from EZGO or others and will not slow down going up hills within reason.

BUT

There is more to be had with the stock Curtis controller if you want. If you can get the cart and Bob together he can release restrictions without sacrificing torque, adjust acceleration rate and regen braking (important as the cart has no wheel brakes). Plus you get to meet Bob who is a little bit of a character and an interesting fellow. Bob did my RXV in late 2018. It will go 32mph, still climbs hills with authority and is easier to drive than with the factory settings. Regen is much more effective. Bobs' reputation is well known in this community. He lives here in the southeast and occasionally goes on the road to tune carts (EZGO/Cushman only with Curtis controller)
If you think you might be interested in this don't let the dealer adjust the controller in any way especially if he claims he can do the same thing as Bob.
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 03:03 PM   #7
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

What he said Bob is the man!!

Still want to get a snapshot of a cart before using the dongle then one after just to see changes. Would help in reverting what the dongle does to future controllers.
Old 01-29-2021, 03:56 PM   #8
DGKeowee
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by kernal View Post
Cart will likely be speed limited to ~15 mph coming from a golf course. If you want to go faster, the dealer can set it to 19.6 mph with a 2 step process. An electronic key sets the speed at 17.5 and then a hand held scanner can set the remaining 2 mph. All this on the standard 18" tall tires. When the dealer does this the torque is reduced by some percentage I don't remember off hand. When you put the larger tires (20" or so) on it you change the final drive ratio effectively "gearing it up" and the new top speed will be in the 22-24 mph range. This is still a very strong cart compared to DC carts from EZGO or others and will not slow down going up hills within reason.

BUT

There is more to be had with the stock Curtis controller if you want. If you can get the cart and Bob together he can release restrictions without sacrificing torque, adjust acceleration rate and regen braking (important as the cart has no wheel brakes). Plus you get to meet Bob who is a little bit of a character and an interesting fellow. Bob did my RXV in late 2018. It will go 32mph, still climbs hills with authority and is easier to drive than with the factory settings. Regen is much more effective. Bobs' reputation is well known in this community. He lives here in the southeast and occasionally goes on the road to tune carts (EZGO/Cushman only with Curtis controller)
If you think you might be interested in this don't let the dealer adjust the controller in any way especially if he claims he can do the same thing as Bob.
How does one seek and find this Bob fellow?
The dealer did say they were enabling Freedom mode which should take the cart to around 20-22mph with the 20" tires.
Old 01-29-2021, 04:06 PM   #9
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

If they haven’t already put it in freedom mode tell them not to just yet. Bob is a much better option. Send a pm to usgicollector and tell him what you have and where you live. He can get you on one of Bob’s travel lists. I think he is in Florida right now but lives in Tennessee so travels through SC a good bit. Based on your name and avatar I would guess you are in NW SC..
Old 01-29-2021, 06:18 PM   #10
otowrxv2
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I would never go 30 mph in an Rxv. If you ever have any problems in the electric brake circuit the cart will screech to a dead stop. At 30 your probably going out the front window.
otowrxv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO