lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-09-2021, 07:26 PM   #1
Threeput
Gone Wild

Default Winter Storage

I have been storing my cart EZGO 2009 RXV for the winter...4 months at a time....I have a Powerwise charger which has worked OK for last 3 years which I leave on...only checking now and again to make sure green LED is on...My question is .. I have doing this with the RUN/TOW switch in RUN....then I read it should be in TOW ...so I'm assuming that would be with the key out and cart switched off.....I keep it in RUN when in normal use...which is it please..thanks
Threeput is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-10-2021, 08:28 AM   #2
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Winter Storage

Tow switch should NOT be left in the "tow" position for extended periods of time as this will drain the batteries. (RXV owners manual page 27)

The conventional wisdom for most golf carts is to place the switch to tow when in storage to minimize parasitic drain from the controller. The RXV and 2five are the exception because the parking brake is electrically released by the tow switch and draws power to keep it released. The RXV and the 2five are the only two carts built by EZGO that are like this--I think.

Technically, to release the brake requires both the switch to be in "tow" and the key switch to neutral so it might be alright to leave it in tow as long as the key switch is off but the owners manual doesn't say and I don't know the answer for sure.
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 12:45 PM   #3
Threeput
Gone Wild

Thank Kernal...I find it confusing....If the key switch is off and key removed...I would assume that would remove power from the brake coil if the switch is put in the tow position....consequently remove all power from the cart circuitry...leaving charging circuitry only..which to me that is what you want
Old 03-10-2021, 01:17 PM   #4
Threeput
Gone Wild

After last post ..I'm going to try.... take off charge...leave key out of cart... now in OFF position...put switch to Tow and see if that releases the brake...if it does...I will then know not to put switch in Tow position when storing and on charge....If it doesn't.?????
Old 03-10-2021, 02:21 PM   #5
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

There is a reason on normal carts to store in tow position. Not sure it is valid for an RXV. Be careful about making assumptions for the RXV.

Powerwise chargers supplied from the factory don't normally have a maintenance/storage mode. Are you sure your charger is actually boosting the charge automatically without input from you? Once the green light comes on when charge is complete, it just stays on until you unplug from the cart. It will never start another charge until you unplug and re-plug into the cart.

Many people on this board disconnect the battery pack for long term storage (months/over the winter) when they don't have a charger with a maintenance mode or have a trust issue.
Old 03-10-2021, 03:16 PM   #6
Threeput
Gone Wild

I was wondering about that until once I went to check the charger after it had been sitting for awhile..and here it was charging...green light pulsing...checking back later ..green light solid...so I assumed it was automatically charging
Old 03-10-2021, 03:25 PM   #7
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Great! That's not common where I am.
Old 03-10-2021, 03:38 PM   #8
Threeput
Gone Wild

I just checked my manual on my EZGO PowerWise QE charger..it says..

If the charger is left plugged in after the batteries are charged ..solid green LED....and the battery pack drops below a minimum voltage or 30 days has elapsed, the charger will automatically restart a complete charge cycle.
So as I said I luckily caught it doing it..
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO