lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-01-2010, 11:25 AM   #1
buddy48
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default What to check now?

Okay. It batteries are fully charged. I am getting 6.3 to 6.4 volts across each battery. I am getting 38.4 volts across the entire pack. The top speed per the GPS is 10.2.

The cart is 94 series cart. Everything to my knowledge is stock. I did notice that the wires on the batteries are 4ga but the others are not. I will eventually upgrade those but until then....

What do I check next? Is 10.2 mph expected since the cart is that old with stock stuff? Runs about 8.7 up the hills in the neighborhood.

Okay let me add that the windshield was up, it has a seat kit on the rear and it was hauling 1 Corn Bread fed Georgia boy (285 lbs)!!!
buddy48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-01-2010, 04:48 PM   #2
COURTESYCART
Gone Wild

Default Re: What to check now?

the series carts are not realy what i call fast, most i see run around 13-14 mph if that. upgrade you cables to 4ga and send your motor off to EMP and they will speed you up and give you more torque.
COURTESYCART is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 04:51 PM   #3
mikesmotortoys
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

It ought to run around 14 in stock trim with 18" tires. There must be something wrong. Is this a Marathon or Medalist cart? There could be a controller problem?

Factory EZGO - Bad Boy Buggy - Dixie Chopper Mowers
mikesmotortoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 05:16 PM   #4
buddy48
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

It is a medalist. I know there is a little corrosion on two battery posts that I need to clean, but I didn't think it would slow me down that much. I was also wondering if just changing the brushes in the motor would help. I assume they have never been changed. The battery cables are 4 ga, but the wires to the controller and motor appear to be stock. I just went to my father in laws fab shop an picked up an old welding lead to change those. The leads appear to be 2 guage.

How do I check the controller for problems.
Old 03-01-2010, 05:45 PM   #5
mikesmotortoys
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Does it have a potentiometer that feeds the controller? Make sure that if it does that it is operating correctly (full range). Yes - clean all your connections ASAP!

Factory EZGO - Bad Boy Buggy - Dixie Chopper Mowers
mikesmotortoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 06:02 PM   #6
buddy48
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I wouldn't even known how to spell potentiometer much less know what one looks like. After looking at the internet at a picture of one I would say no. The FNR switch goes through the cart body, over to the mechanical switch then we got sevral wires leaving there going to batteries etc.

Maybe what I call the mechanical switch contains a potentiomenter. What would a potentiometer look like on a 1994 medalist/txt. It has the txt cowl on the front, but the model number contains 94 and from what I understand the txt didn't come along until 95?
Old 03-01-2010, 10:03 PM   #7
buddy48
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Come on mike or scottyb..helpme out guys!!
Old 03-01-2010, 10:19 PM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

The cart is all metal & heavy. The components are 16 yrs old and the connections are corroded. The cables are corroded on the inside. Lots of resistance.... 10mph is average for a cart like this. It went 12 when it was new So what do you want it to do? And how much do you have to spend?
scottyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 10:24 PM   #9
buddy48
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Here is what i have figured putting into it...

Alltrax 4844 controller
Heavy duty solenoid
Heavy Duty FNR switch
Switching out the cables from the batteries to the controller to motor to 2 guage welding wire (which I got free)

All other battery cables are 4 ga.

So when I do the math i see somewhere around $650 bucks?

What will this get me for speed? I only have $800 bucks in this thing so far so I am willing to spend some more!!
Old 03-01-2010, 10:33 PM   #10
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

It may get you back to 12mph..... but it might just stay above 10mph on that hill.... now with that new found torque you could go to some bigger wheels & tires and that will give you a higher top end......
scottyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO