lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-26-2010, 02:42 PM   #1
ezgokid
resident idiot

E-Z-GO

Smile Battery Cables

I have a 1994 E-Z-GO Marathon. One of the connectors on the end of the cables is corroding. I'm sure everyone has had this happen. You can't even see the metal, just a white/green foam, for lack of a better word. I was just wondering where I can buy 6 gauge cables locally, I live in Scottsdale Arizona. Are they available at AutoZone or Checker? Thanks much !
ezgokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-26-2010, 02:50 PM   #2
buscopat
Gone Crazy

Club Car

Default Re: Battery Cables

You are better off not using the cables that you would buy at the auto parts store for a couple of reasons;
1) the hole in the cable ends is too large.
2) the wire strand count is too low.
Your best bet is to look at the sponsors page and call one of them.
The ones I have dealt with have reasonable prices and good customer service to get you the right parts the first time.
buscopat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 02:52 PM   #3
ezgokid
resident idiot

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by buscopat View Post
You are better off not using the cables that you would buy at the auto parts store for a couple of reasons;
1) the hole in the cable ends is too large.
2) the wire strand count is too low.
Your best bet is to look at the sponsors page and call one of them.
The ones I have dealt with have reasonable prices and good customer service to get you the right parts the first time.
Thanks for the info! I'm hoping I can find a sponsor that carries them in AZ.
Old 07-26-2010, 03:03 PM   #4
CC-John
prop. A$$hole's Garage

I second Pat's advice...

Also plan on saving up for a complete set of cables.. Your cart is pushing 18 years old, if one cable has corrosion, most of the others probably will too.. The cables internal resistance also increases with age, this affects performance..
CC-John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 03:06 PM   #5
ezgokid
resident idiot

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC-John View Post
I second Pat's advice...

Also plan on saving up for a complete set of cables.. Your cart is pushing 18 years old, if one cable has corrosion, most of the others probably will too.. The cables internal resistance also increases with age, this affects performance..
Yeah. One day I will do that. Fortunately, I bought it with fairly new batteries and all but this one cable are great; shiny. Thanks!
Old 07-26-2010, 03:11 PM   #6
CC-John
prop. A$$hole's Garage

Cool!!

Just make a habit of feeling the main power cables after a hard run.. If you find one that is noticeably warmer than the rest, plan on replacing it soon before a meltdown occurs and causes some really expensive repairs...

Most of all, have fun with it and be careful...
Old 07-26-2010, 03:14 PM   #7
ezgokid
resident idiot

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Cool!!

Just make a habit of feeling the main power cables after a hard run.. If you find one that is noticeably warmer than the rest, plan on replacing it soon before a meltdown occurs and causes some really expensive repairs...

Most of all, have fun with it and be careful...
Thank you very much! I will make sure to do that. I didn't know that something as simple as battery cables could do that much damage.

Happy Driving!
Old 07-26-2010, 03:24 PM   #8
CC-John
prop. A$$hole's Garage

When you stomp the pedal from a dead stop, those cables are having to handle 250-300 amps of current thru them.. Any resistance, whether from corrosion or dirty/loose connections can generate massive amounts of heat in the cable or terminals, enough heat to start a fire in some cases..

I've seen too many older sparky carts that had the cables replaced piecemeal over the years, that either died from an electrical fire under the seat or just refused to run at all.. Just keep a close eye on stuff and you'll be OK..
Old 07-26-2010, 03:29 PM   #9
ezgokid
resident idiot

E-Z-GO

Quote:
When you stomp the pedal from a dead stop, those cables are having to handle 250-300 amps of current thru them.. Any resistance, whether from corrosion or dirty/loose connections can generate massive amounts of heat in the cable or terminals, enough heat to start a fire in some cases..

I've seen too many older sparky carts that had the cables replaced piecemeal over the years, that either died from an electrical fire under the seat or just refused to run at all.. Just keep a close eye on stuff and you'll be OK..
Thanks John, I appreciate it. This is kind of random but do you know where I can find an inexpensive ($2000 or less) E-Z-GO TXT. Bone stock, no upgrades? Thanks again!
Old 07-26-2010, 03:39 PM   #10
CC-John
prop. A$$hole's Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezgokid View Post
Thanks John, I appreciate it. This is kind of random but do you know where I can find an inexpensive ($2000 or less) E-Z-GO TXT. Bone stock, no upgrades? Thanks again!
Glad to help!!

To find a TXT in the price range you're looking at, search Craigslist.. Anything for 2K or less is probably gonna need a set of batteries soon, or other repairs..

Tags
battery, buy, cables
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO