lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-23-2010, 07:59 PM   #11
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

Default Re: Got a deal....I think!

nothing funny this is how we learn.........the 1st elec. E-Z GO i layed my hands on turned me into fire marshell bill i caught the freakin thing on fire...............
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-23-2010, 08:23 PM   #12
BRS
Master BS'r

Club Car

I was told by a dealer that the v-glide is the weakest point with the most current, "bottle neck", theory....do you find this to be true. Just wondering if there's another problem I'm overlooking? Thanks in advance.
BRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 08:13 AM   #13
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

THe V Glide used with 4-5 solenoids, OR many 6 guage wires connected to large coil resistors in later models like yours is an old tried and true setup used by CC since the late 80's? Its not as EFFICIANT BECAUSE OF HEATED RESISTORS AND 5 SOLENOIDS, AND OR MANY 6 GUAGE CABLES a control as a MCOR or PB-6 combined with a solid state controller, but was used clear up into the last years of DS models. But with some simple care is almost indestructable a control as you can find. YOUR UNIT MAY HAVE NEVER BEEN SERVICED until now??? The V Glide unit was used with some conversions ( called multi step control with small electronic resistors behind unit ) to operate solid state controllers in later years so I dont see where the dealer felt that it was weak point? The weak point is early model carts that used with 5 solenoids and the weak point was they needed replacement often?
Prices show differences in cost and comparison.
V Glide ( CC calls it "wiper switch 36 volts" ) $116.40 complete unit, common repairs switch brush assembly $14.40 and switch brush spring .90/, V Glide ( CC calls it "speed switch 48 volts" with small electronic resistors ) $210.00, MCOR $155.58, Curtis PB-6 $85.00 ( NOTE Curtis unit is not stock unit ). The last three units are used with solid state controllers like Curtis and ALLTRAX.
OLD MEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 06:22 PM   #14
BRS
Master BS'r

Club Car

Old Mec,
So as you said or inferred my cart was upgraded at some point to one solenoid and the reisistor coils. My concern is buying a new wiper switch and it burning out again. I'll go over all my connections and install a new one...what else can I try...and hope for the best. The dealer said the sell a complete set for $210 with the wiper set an resistor wires(6g), not sure if this includes the resistor. He recommended just the wiper arm for $130 and to double check all my wires and contacts. Obviously good advice and he not trying to sell the whole shop. I'll buy from a sponsor on here as I have other carts to ride in the meantime, besides there are some additional items I'd like to buy for my new project. Thanks for all your input and please keep it coming. I tend to work backwards on a cart....make it look good, then fix the inside...I know...I know...dumb. That's what keeps my blood pumping to fix the things we can't see.
Old 09-10-2010, 02:10 PM   #15
BRS
Master BS'r

Club Car

Ok, I bought a new v-glide but have not installed it yet. 3 of the 6 cables coming off the resistor are in bad shape, ie: casings melted off or bubbling. Should I replace these cables with 4g, I have alot laying around or should I just buy replacement resistor cables(they look like they're 6g). Or should I convert the whole thing to a solid state setup, as I already have a curtis controller that may work, I'd have to purchase an obc and everything else. What do you guys think,...maybe just fix what's broken and be done with it?
Old 09-10-2010, 03:27 PM   #16
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

If you feel your ability and idea's are to replace the V glide and resistor coil setup is really what you want to do and because you already have one of the major cost items ( usable solid state controller ) I would give it a go. Normally only simple tools will be needed to carry it out. The forum will I'm sure be willing to help you through the conversion.
There are complete kits to convert your cart over to solid state available from our sponsors ( I'm sure? ) or other after market suppliers. This might be the route to go if you want all printed diagrams and written info and parts to do complete conversion? You could always sell your controller and V glide and whatever is not used to help offset some costs?
I would regardless of which way you go install complete 4 gauge wiring to replace what 6 guage that you would be using.
Old 09-10-2010, 03:41 PM   #17
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

PM sent.
Old 09-10-2010, 03:50 PM   #18
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

make sure you disconnect main power before putting the new unit on and if you replace 6 gage with 4 gage replace all cables don,t mix and match................................by the way what made the unit fry? did you have power disconnected?..................................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 05:10 PM   #19
BRS
Master BS'r

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowman View Post
make sure you disconnect main power before putting the new unit on and if you replace 6 gage with 4 gage replace all cables don,t mix and match................................by the way what made the unit fry? did you have power disconnected?..................................
I don't what made the unit fry, I bought it used...the wiper arm was already melted off so I used some JB weld on it and got it running. 2 days later just about the whole vglide melted. I found some melted skins of wire running off the resistors, I fear they may have made contact with each other. So, I will replace all wires with 4g for now and install the new vglide. I just didn't know without a controller if these carts required more presence of mind when running them.ie: overheating or shorting out. Thanks everyone.
B
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car