lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-27-2010, 11:50 AM   #1
IMKCMAC
Not Yet Wild

Default 1984 Marathon brakes

As is the case with most of the older carts my brakes aren't that good.Removed a drum to take a look at the shoes and they look pretty good,as a matter of fact it looked pretty clean in there.In my research on here about brakes i keep reading about the star adjuster wheel.Here are pics of my set up and i see no star wheel.Also only the rear shoe moves when the pedal is compressed.What gives with that?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EZGO BRAKE PICS 001.jpg (138.8 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg EZGO BRAKE PICS 002.jpg (154.8 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg EZGO BRAKE PICS 003.jpg (147.4 KB, 13 views)
IMKCMAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-27-2010, 01:37 PM   #2
mauistardog
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1984 Marathon brakes

Yes, older ezgo brakes suck. Check the drum for glazing. I took a dremel with a 40grit drum and sanded and ruffed it up good. worked better after that.
I tried finding after market brakes for my old 88. no such thing. I ended up selling it and getting a cart that had 4 way hydrolic drum brakes. Also keep stock wheels on it. going bigger will only make it worse.
good luck
joe
mauistardog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 08:21 PM   #3
FIXEROFCARTS
Gone Wild

Your brakes are not adjusted properly, I can tell that from the pics. You dont have a star wheel on your cart, you have an excentric, thats the adjuster at the top of the brake backing plate.
FIXEROFCARTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 08:22 PM   #4
FIXEROFCARTS
Gone Wild

88 brake shoes are still made no need to hunt for them. Even if they were the industrial pads, those are still made.
FIXEROFCARTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 08:51 PM   #5
IMKCMAC
Not Yet Wild

After i went back to put the drum back on i looked at the set up better and realized that the threaded rod with square end on the outside of backing plate was an adjuster,after cleaning the shoes and drum with sandpaper i put it back together and adjusted both brakes and it does stop better.
IMKCMAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 09:35 PM   #6
mauistardog
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Yes, brake shoes are still available. I was talking about upgrading to disk brakes for the front. I got some steep hills to come down, and I had a lift with 22 inch tires. could not stop that thing at all Finally sold it to flat lander.
joe
mauistardog is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO