lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-28-2011, 07:44 PM   #1
jmottr01
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Lightbulb G1 Exhaust....thoughts......

Ok, so I BBQ my muffler this weekend and got nothing out of it.......
After a little too much liquid confidence that stupid voice "I got a great idea!!"
So......I cut the end off of the muffler, no biggie I can weld it back on (there is an inner and an outer end cap on the thing. Anyhow..... even with that I got nothing out of it; so exactly what am I looking for here?
Now for the questions....
1) Does a small 2 cycle engine require any back pressure to speak of?
2) Will this thing be obnoxiously loud if I straight pipe it?
3) Exactly how much can I remove from the muffler before I might as well trash it and start over.
Yes, I sometimes act before thinking but hey thats how the greatest inventions where made, right?!
As always thanks in advance.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20110328_173718.jpg (78.4 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20110328_173735.jpg (92.1 KB, 17 views)
jmottr01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-28-2011, 11:05 PM   #2
jmottr01
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: G1 Exhaust....thoughts......

Nothing.......not even a "wow what where you thinkin', idiot" c'mon I can take it.
jmottr01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 11:12 PM   #3
dakotahunter12
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

I'll bite....What the ....were you thinking LOL. Hey don't feel bad I thought about doing the same thing when I BBQ mine this weekend but I didn't drink enough liquid courage and didn't have enough natural courage to try it.
dakotahunter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 11:37 PM   #4
victorjohn
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

The answer to your Questions 1 and 2 is yes and yes. On your 3rd question, just experiment. If you cut too much, restore it.
victorjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 04:02 AM   #5
chuddly
Gone Wild

Yamaha

the problem you run into is that 2 strokes are tuned mufflers for the engine ....dont bother messing with it because you will not see any gains at all. You will more than likely just slow it down more
chuddly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 06:44 AM   #6
kcnaz
Gone Wild
Yamaha

before you finish that thought cut off the other flange and pull it apart........this is the inards of a 79 Yamaha. It was beat up during the assembly in 1979. Before I put it back together I straightened out the baffles and welded them back together.

kcnaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 08:48 PM   #7
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

The problem is they get plugged with carbon, if its clean inside then nothing is wrong with it. The flare of the pipe and length tunes it and is hard to change. What you could try to do is make the neck at the cylinder shorter before it gets to the part where the diameter grows. That might raise the rpm up a little. That pipe is mild and kicks at low rpm I'd guess 3000 or something that is why its so long. On the other hand a high rpm pipe like motocross is not going to work either. I don't know if its possible to shorten the pipe in the way I described or how much to take out, likely not all that much. Most 2 stroke run better with a pipe, only outboards don't use them really because they need a very even and wide powerband and not much power per ci. A pipe will give more power where its tuned than no pipe. You could try a similar sized enduro MC pipe that worked at similar mild rpm is my best guess for another pipe. Or put a bravo sled engine in with its pipe, the G1 does not have porting for much change anyway. If you tune a pipe for lots of power it will only be in a limited rpm range.

Thanks for the guts photo, always wondered what was in it!

Check this out: http://www.mh-aerotools.de/airfoils/javapipe_en.htm

Here is a better page: http://www.snowmobilefanatics.net/Triple650Indy/11
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha