lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-15-2011, 09:09 AM   #1
Wherewolf
Not Yet Wild

Default '94 CC with Curtis Controller 1/2 speed

Hi All,
Noob to the forum here, wanted to say thanks for all the information - I was able to troubleshoot and replace a sticking solenoid based on good info here on the forum.
I use my cart mostly for farming, but sometimes younger kids get to drive it around the farm. With it being a battery cart, it doesn't take well to bumps, jumps and people treating it like it's a four-wheel-drive quad ATV; if you know what I mean....most folks want to make their carts faster but....

I would like to wire in a hidden switch (parallel) off the backup micro switch that makes it half speed. Am I correct in assuming that the extra resistors in the wiring to that switch make the potentiometer only read half as much?
Is there any harm to running the cart forward with this wiring activated?
I thought I would just parallel the wires ahead of the micro switch and take them over to a hidden switch up near the steering column (in a hole where it can't be easily found kinda like a valet switch!) as near as I can tell, this wouldn't interfere with the microswitch working in backup mode - it would already be active if the hidden switch is on...and work normally if it's off.

Am I thinking correctly?

Thanks for any input!

Wherewolf
Wherewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-15-2011, 02:17 PM   #2
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: '94 CC with Curtis Controller 1/2 speed

Stock 1994 CC with solid state controller have no resistors in reverse circuit? The F&R has a center tap to batterys giving 18 volts when in reverse and 36 volts in forward So it has nothing directly to do with the pedal speed control. If you want to cut HOT RODDING I would think a multi battery pack selector switch might work? 18 volts when switched one direction, 36 the other direction, off another direction maybe for parent control?
What type of pedal speed control you have? Stock one is a pie shaped box under drivers seat between the batterys on that side, with light guage wiring running to solid state controller? So often with carts that old they may have newer parts making it hard to assist?
OLD MEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 03:02 PM   #3
Wherewolf
Not Yet Wild

Hmmmm....maybe I'm confused but it sure looks stock. There's a Pie Shaped Speed controller.

I'm not talking about resistors in any of the battery wiring.... The F/R has three microswitches on the backside - one clicks in forward and the other two in reverse. The third switch seems to make it run half speed (cart up on jack stands; F/R in forward; Full Pedal; clicking that switch with my finger) but the switch would only get activated in reverse. The wiring going to that switch has a heat shrink on it that looks like it has resistors inside. I'm assuming this would take the output from the the full pedal and make it 2.5k ohms instead of 0, thereby making it half throttle? I'm guessing here, but that's why I'm asking....
Wherewolf
Old 04-15-2011, 04:06 PM   #4
Jayhawk04
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

The diagram in the sticky for a 36v solid state shows that that switch puts a 5k resistor in parallel with the speed circuit. This would give you give you half speed.. (for a 0-5k controller) Wiring a switch in parallel with the reverse micro would be fine. It would only allow the cart to run half speed all the time.
Jayhawk04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 05:56 PM   #5
Wherewolf
Not Yet Wild

Thank You very much - I just wasn't sure if it would cause trouble in the forward mode, but the more I think about it, it only affects the pedal circuitry so no issue.

Thanks again for the help,

Wherewolf
Old 04-15-2011, 11:44 PM   #6
Andy4639
48/400/Alltrax HS motor

E-Z-GO

Wink Re: '94 CC with Curtis Controller 1/2 speed

Or just put a extra wire from the backup 1/2 speed wire with the toggle switch to the forward micro switch. Turn the switch on so it thinks it's in reverse all the time. Then when you need full speed just flip the switch back to normal.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 08:31 AM   #7
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

WHEREWOLF I forgot that you have been correct about the resistor all along? Not seeing many 36 volt carts anymore I forget about the difference between 36 and 48 volt cats? JAYHAWK thanks for pulling my chain, old brains get stuck in ruts? ANDY4639 wouldnt a 3 way switch work best connected to both micros?
Old 04-25-2011, 08:43 AM   #8
Wherewolf
Not Yet Wild

Quick Update: I wired in the hidden toggle (up under the dash - though a hole that takes long fingers to reach!) and it works great. Kids have been commenting that "it just doesn't seem to go as fast as it used to...." Hmmmm. I just smile and shrug... Batteries sure last a lot longer too...

Made a couple more mods...added a folding, tilting dumpbox. Now I just have to figure out how to pop the rear gate from the drivers seat!

Wherewolf
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0622.JPG (68.4 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0629.JPG (71.6 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0632.JPG (67.9 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0628.JPG (59.3 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0626.JPG (72.5 KB, 3 views)
Old 04-25-2011, 11:53 AM   #9
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Nice adaption and dump box set up.
Old 04-25-2011, 12:09 PM   #10
Wherewolf
Not Yet Wild

Thanks - I've built a lot of crap out of old abandoned wheel chairs and medical equipment. The Aluminum bed was once part of a broken down fold out chair lift, and the BallScrew actuator was off of a tilt-back wheel chair designed for a handicapped person - took a while to figure out where 4.5 inches of throw would attach to make the bed tilt as much as possible, but yet drop all the way down.
I don't know how long the 24v motor will operate at 36v, but it's pretty sporadic-short duration running....plus I've got a spare. I tried a 36v-24v converter but it was too small and wouldn't handle the load even empty - d@mn thing cost me 13 dollars on ebay dangit!

Yup....built some crazy cr@p over the years....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 083.jpg (53.3 KB, 3 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car