lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-20-2011, 05:31 PM   #1
jim777
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default batteries

3 and half year old t105 trojan batteries for 150 is that a good price
jim777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-20-2011, 08:56 PM   #2
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

Default Re: batteries

if they are good thats a great price, buy them....................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 09:30 PM   #3
jim777
Gone Wild
Club Car

thx for the reply i thought so just needed a second opinion
Old 04-20-2011, 10:17 PM   #4
lewy44
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim777 View Post
thx for the reply i thought so just needed a second opinion
Was that $1.50 or $150?

I would be reluctant to pay $150 for any three year old battery unless I knew history of the battery.

I just bought a golf cart that is 11 years old. The owner said the batteries were shot. He also said that the batteries in the cart were the third set in it. Typically golf cart batteries lasts 4 to 5 years. Similar to the life of a battery in your car/truck, camper or motorcycle. Under the best of conditions these batteries have the best years behind them. And it could be worse.

Good Luck
lewy44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 10:29 PM   #5
jim777
Gone Wild
Club Car

a guy at our campground has a 2001 cc just replaced his original set this year
Old 04-20-2011, 10:34 PM   #6
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

if you take care of a set of trojens you should get 10 years or better......................
Old 04-21-2011, 12:07 AM   #7
Andy4639
48/400/Alltrax HS motor

E-Z-GO

Wink Re: batteries

I just replaced a set of t 105 this past month and they were 10 years old and they still kept the cart moving.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 12:33 AM   #8
lewy44
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowman View Post
if you take care of a set of trojens you should get 10 years or better......................
I must be doing something wrong and listening to the wrong people. Just where do you buy those "trojen" batteries?
I was shopping for a used golf cart. I talked to two different dealers. Both had used carts with 2010 batteries and 2008 batteries. In each case the salesman said that I could expect a year, maybe two out of the 2008 batteries and 4, maybe 5 years out of the 2010 batteries.
I eventually bought a cart from an individual. The cart had dead and shot batteries. The previous owner said that this was the third set of batteries in a model year 2000 cart. Apparently they were cheap batteries as they were Trojan batteries.
Even though his dealership had several used electric and no used gas powered carts, one salesman said that he had sold more gas powered carts this year than ever before. His comment was that people seemed to be getting tired and frustrated with the hassle and cost of battery replacements.
Secondly, I question 10 years or better. Lead is lead, acid is acid. For years we have known that a battery begins deterorating once lead is placed in the battery. This is the reason some retailers sell dry batteries and only put acid in them just before they were sold. That way you were guaranteed a 'fresh' battery.
lewy44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 01:14 AM   #9
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

if you spend 15 minutes a month maintaining your batteries, good top of the line batteries like trojens you can expect 10 years plus......i know of 2 sets still running carts at 14 years, yes cheap mid of the road batts 4 or 5 years if you do it right even less if you don,t ..................i don,t know a lot about the finer points of batteries but yes lead is lead maybe thats why they weigh 75+ lbs.........................start asking someone who knows golfcart batteries, not deep cycle but golfcart..........i also know someone who put a set of trojen,s in and thats it they did nothing and in less than 2 years another 1000 bucks...................................
Old 04-21-2011, 06:20 AM   #10
ajbrown
Getting Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowman View Post
Please see my signature

It is a given that battery maintenance matters. IMO battery life should not be measured in years, it needs to be measured in number of cycles. From what I am learning the number of cycles is directly related to the depth of discharge for each cycle. I suspect I could make a pack last 15 years if I used it to pick up leaves in the yard discharging the pack 5% once a week......

I live in a little retirement community called The Villages . At the moment it is 12 miles end to end. There are many days my pack will be discharged to 60 - 70%. As recommended I never discharge more than 50%. From my reading, even if I take great care of these batteries I am likely limited to 1750'ish cycles. This would happen in less than 5 years. IMO this may even be optimistic, but time will tell.

Are your three year old Trojans worth $150? MAYBE. It depends on their condition. I guess at a minimum they are worth whatever the core charge would be when you trade them for new ones....
ajbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car