lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-08-2011, 02:27 PM   #1
borninabarn
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default 85 36V Club Car Voltage readings?Hr charge time?

Hello All.I have this 1985 36V Club Car and using a multi meter I was trying to get the complete voltage reading after a charge.I am using the Main Positive(post with both wires one wire to F/R switch)and main Negative side(post with 2 wires one wire to the plug in part where you plug the charger into)When I set my meter to 12 volts and check that reading it is around 29 volts.When I use the same main negative post as the ground and put the positive pin from meter on the one of the copper connectors coming out of the F/R Switch(the one that also connects to the main positive on the battery post I also get 29 Volts But when I test it on the other copper post same side coming out of the F/R Switch I get a reading around 38 volts?Why am I getting different readings?and which one is correct?Also I am using an older EZgo battery charger that came with this cart.It has a timer with 1-11 hrs and a amp meter on it.What do I set the timer on this for a complete charge after running it down?I dont want to overcharge and burn up these batterys!Would this old charger have something to make it quit charging so much after a Full Charge?Sorry so long I just need to know.Thanks BGW!
borninabarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-08-2011, 02:33 PM   #2
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

Default Re: 85 36V Club Car Voltage readings?Hr charge time?

i,ll make this short put your meter on the prongs where you plug charger into that will give you your pack reading. i would think the way your doing it the higher reading your getting is the right one the cart wouldn,t run with 29 volts i don,t think..........38 volts sounds right.......................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 02:38 PM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Set your meter to 200VDC
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 04:28 PM   #4
borninabarn
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

On VDC I am getting 40.1 from the charger plug in.And about the charging time? With this old EZGO charger with amp meter Wait till it shows zero on the amp meter or will it keep charging and charging until the hr meter clicks off? Just not sure how long to charge and dont want to fry the batterys.This cart is only going to be used running around a small town for an hour or 2 at a time.Thankls again Guys!Eggy
Old 05-08-2011, 04:53 PM   #5
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

i would let it click off.................................
Old 05-08-2011, 06:50 PM   #6
borninabarn
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

So Shadow You say let this charger keep running no matter what if I set it to 2 hrs or 11 hrs everything will be fine after running the cart for an hour or two driving around town?Does this old style charger have some sort of safety shut off or do they all ? after the battery's are at full charge?I am Disabled and have zero income so this charging is very important to me!If the battery's get toasted then I am just out guys.This cart also has these speed caps on it.Should or do the caps have to be off while charging?I really thank you all for your help! I hope you understand my position
Old 05-08-2011, 06:58 PM   #7
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

if the charger shuts off auto than yes i would let it shut off once it gets to zero it shouldn,t stay on that much longer if you have good batteries......leave the caps on just make sure the batteries always have water in them distilled..........i can,t tell you if you should charge 2 hours or 11 only you know that but if the charger shuts off by itself than yes i would let it shut off by itself.............do good maintence on your batteries and the only cash you should spend is on distilled water..........................
Old 05-08-2011, 07:09 PM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

All battery caps are self venting. Check the pack voltage. Should be somewhere in between 37 and 38v .... plug in the charger and set the timer to 12 hours. The amp meter should go up around 20 amps for 30-60 minutes, then it should come down to around 8-10 amps for 1 to 3 hours and finally go down to a few 3-5 amps for several hours. The last is the longest charging phase. The charger should shut off before the 12 hour timer runs out. If it does then you know it is working properly and no need to worry about it....
Old 05-08-2011, 07:18 PM   #9
borninabarn
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Sounds Great guys!Scottyb you are correct on the amp meter!20 amps then 10 amps and probably 3-5 for a few hours(Have not let it run that long)Everything sounds Great! Your Help means alot to me!!Eggy!
Old 05-08-2011, 07:49 PM   #10
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Sounds like it is working good ~ Let her run!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car