lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-26-2011, 08:03 AM   #1
Colbyntx
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default OK Battery Gurus!

I am picking up a new set of US 12v's for my precedent today. I have 2 charger options as I have a jumper before the OBC that can easily be removed. When I install these batteries, should I charge them with the Powerdrive 2 charger or use the LVS4800 25 amp auto charger? Which will be better for longer life? Also, what is a good battery post spray I can pick up?

Thanks!
Colbyntx is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-26-2011, 08:48 AM   #2
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: OK Battery Gurus!

What is reason for "jumper before OBC" was this ONLY to be able to use the LVS 4800 charger? If for other reasons you may have problems to address before installing and charging your new batterys?
I personally have never used a LVS 4800 charger but from what I have heard from several locals with LVS4800 chargers and they have said that batterys seem to need more distilled water than normal compared with Powerdrive chargers? The Powerdrive starts charging at a lower rate ( 17 amps ) according to locals than LVS which starts at about 20-23 amps so its possible the higher charge rate is cause for higher water loss?
I personally think the Powerdrive charger with a correctly operating OBC is the best set up made. I am now thinking of replacing my 9 1/2 year old Trojans as range is down and charge requires almost 16 hour max shut off point.
OLD MEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 09:17 AM   #3
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

if everything is working right i would use the powerdrive charger if it can still talk with the OBC if not i don,t know that its gonna matter............................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 10:10 AM   #4
Colbyntx
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD MEC View Post
What is reason for "jumper before OBC" was this ONLY to be able to use the LVS 4800 charger? If for other reasons you may have problems to address before installing and charging your new batterys?
I personally have never used a LVS 4800 charger but from what I have heard from several locals with LVS4800 chargers and they have said that batterys seem to need more distilled water than normal compared with Powerdrive chargers? The Powerdrive starts charging at a lower rate ( 17 amps ) according to locals than LVS which starts at about 20-23 amps so its possible the higher charge rate is cause for higher water loss?
I personally think the Powerdrive charger with a correctly operating OBC is the best set up made. I am now thinking of replacing my 9 1/2 year old Trojans as range is down and charge requires almost 16 hour max shut off point.
Yes, the jumper was only to use the LVS on my old shot batteries. The OBC functions properlly. I will take it off and use the powerdrive. Also, what is a good spray I can pick up for the battery posts and connections?
Old 05-26-2011, 10:21 AM   #5
scottginfla
72 volt torque monster

Club Car

every parts store , walmart, the place you are buying the batts carries the red batt terminal spray, one brand is not better than the other.

cleanlyness is the key before using the spray.
scottginfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 12:07 PM   #6
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

if you keep up with your battery maintence theres no need for any spray protector.................................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 04:50 PM   #7
Colbyntx
Gone Wild

Club Car

Thanks everybody! I picked up the new US Batteries and installed them. I also took off the jumper wire. Pack reading was 50.1v's. Hooked up the powerdrive charger and now it's just the waiting game. You know how tempting it is to not take it out for a quick spin before the initial charge!!!!!!!! I haven't seen 50v's on this thing for over a year! I knew it was time for a set when it started to die on me at the 18th hole last weekend. It didn't help that my brother and I add about 580 lbs together on the cart not to mention the clubs and about 50 extra balls!!!! Can't wait to see a full pack reading again.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car