lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-12-2011, 10:04 AM   #1
sugary
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default need help wiring mirrors with built-in turn signals

I am the new owner of a 2008 Club Car Precedent Champion and have just finished installing a complete light kit including headlights, taillights, turn signals, brakelights, 4-way flashers with no problems. However I am lost with the side-mounted rear view mirrors - each has 3 wires with the only instructions of "attach black wire to grounding source on battery" and "attach white wire to 12 volt source for amber light and red wire to 12 volt source for blue light".

The cart has four 12 volt batteries with no 48vDC to 12vDC converter. The light kits are from Madjax - as are the mirrors.
sugary is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-12-2011, 10:20 AM   #2
drick67
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default Re: need help wiring mirrors with built-in turn signals

Since you have 4-12V batteries, you need to choose one battery and wire the black wire to the negative terminal on the battery, then wire the other two wires to the positive side of the SAME battery. That will get them to work, however, I would recommend getting a 48-12 converter soon as the lights will draw down that battery quicker and make the charge cycle uneven in your battery pack thus reducing the life of the entire pack.
drick67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 11:32 AM   #3
sugary
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Thank you for the prompt response - and the advice about the DC converter, as I have wondered what the purpose of one would be. Don't the mirror lights have to be wired to the signal switch so they will work when the the turn signals are used?
Old 06-12-2011, 12:07 PM   #4
drick67
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugary View Post
Thank you for the prompt response - and the advice about the DC converter, as I have wondered what the purpose of one would be. Don't the mirror lights have to be wired to the signal switch so they will work when the the turn signals are used?
Ha Ha, you are correct, Forgot they were blinkers, there has to be a power source to your current blinkers. You could wire the mirrors to the current blinkers and there should not be a problem.
drick67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 01:13 PM   #5
Scott H.
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
"attach black wire to grounding source on battery" and "attach white wire to 12 volt source for amber light and red wire to 12 volt source for blue light".
I'm going to go by my experience with the automotive and motorcycle mirrors.

Connect the Black Wire to a CLEAN battery ground. You're working with LEDs mounted behind the mirror and I've found that they are much more picky over having a good connection.

Connect the White Wire to the wire that powers the front turn signal on the SAME side as the mirror, NOT the running lights! Left turn signal = left mirror, Right turn signal = right mirror. You wouldn't believe how many times I've had to fix wrongly connected wiring from both customer installed mirrors and new tech installs.

Connect the Red Wire to the High Beam wire on your headlights. The Blue Light on the mirror is just an indicator telling you that the high beams are on. You can use it for a headlight on reminder too if you hook it to the low beam light wire, but it'll be on all the time the headlights are on. You could also leave the wire unconnected if you don't want to use it.

Quote:
The cart has four 12 volt batteries with no 48vDC to 12vDC converter.
I highly reccomend the converter! From all the research I have done it's well worth the money. You can also connect a fused buss bar off of the converter to add more accessories at a later time if you wish.

Hope this helps,
-Scott H.
Scott H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 01:19 PM   #6
sugary
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

I guess my real problem will be that I connected the turn signal switch with a 9-pin wire harness without any detail as to what wires were for which function. I will dig a little deeper and see if I can follow the wires to their final connection. Thanks again for the help.
Old 06-12-2011, 01:33 PM   #7
Scott H.
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
I guess my real problem will be that I connected the turn signal switch with a 9-pin wire harness without any detail as to what wires were for which function. I will dig a little deeper and see if I can follow the wires to their final connection. Thanks again for the help.
Can you still see the wires behind the light? I know sometimes once the lights are installed you can't see anything at all.

If you can see which wire goes to the turn signal, that SHOULD tell you the color of the wire you need to connect to. It's always better to check the wire before you connect to it with a volt meter though, or in this case you could use a test light since it's a stand alone system and not connected to a computer.

Hopefully they didn't use the same color wire for everything in the harness. I've also seen that happen more than once. If that is the case, the only way to tell which wire you need to connect to is by testing each wire.

If you don't mind running extra wires, you could also connect the mirror wire to the turn signal wire at the light if that would be easier for you.

-Scott H.
Old 06-12-2011, 02:38 PM   #8
sugary
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott H. View Post

If you don't mind running extra wires, you could also connect the mirror wire to the turn signal wire at the light if that would be easier for you.

-Scott H.
I like that idea - for somebody who is not comfortable with anything electrical, I'll know I have the right wire to the right connection.

Thank you much!
Old 06-12-2011, 05:03 PM   #9
Scott H.
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
I like that idea - for somebody who is not comfortable with anything electrical, I'll know I have the right wire to the right connection.

Thank you much!
Not a problem at all, I'm glad I could help figure out the install for you!

Trust me, once you get a few installs under your belt the scary part of electricity will go away and it'll be second nature just to dive in head first and start yanking wires.

Any time you need help, just yell and I'll help if I can. If not, I'm sure someone on here will know the answer and we'll both learn something new!

-Scott H.
Old 06-12-2011, 07:54 PM   #10
sugary
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Just a final note - the mirrors are on and flashing like they are supposed to. Took a little longer than it should have, but that's standard for me.

Thanks again to all.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car