lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-29-2011, 09:57 PM   #1
zx104u2nv
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default My New Radio Install

Well, I just finished installing my radio and figured I would share some pics and info. I purchased a universal under dash radio kit (AW-104UD) for about $13 on Amazon and it worked PERFECTLY for my 06 CC Precedent.
1st: I took off the trim that holds the hood down and then removed my carbon fiber dash. 2nd: I slid the actual radio sleeve into the dash kit and bend the tabs back so the radio can't be stolen (easily) w/o the radio removal keys. 3rd:
I applied some good 3m double stick tape to the radio dash kit and stuck it up under the dash. The tape probably would've been strong enough but I went ahead and also put some screws in it at the top to make sure it stays. 4th I ran all the radio wires including the flexible antenna through the back hole. 5th I plugged everything up and slid the radio into the sleeve. Finally I put the carbon fiber dash back and the dash trim.
NOTE: The first time I mounted the radio kit I didn't put it back far enough for the door on the dash to close and latch. Make sure you check or plan for this.
Here's some pics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN3306.jpg (119.7 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN3308.jpg (162.0 KB, 90 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN3309.jpg (163.4 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN3310.jpg (166.8 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN3311.jpg (93.3 KB, 94 views)
zx104u2nv is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-29-2011, 10:29 PM   #2
scvmark
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: My New Radio Install

Looks Good.
If I am reading the picture corectly, your radio is a Pile?
scvmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 05:42 AM   #3
zx104u2nv
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Yep, I went with something cheap. I have over $1k system in my truck and didn't want to spend a lot since the golf cart is a little less secured. I was actually surprised at how good it sounded including the speakers. The radio has a SD card reader so you can put your MP3s on there and don't have to worry about them skipping.
Old 06-30-2011, 06:08 AM   #4
NickS
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

I just put one almost exactly like that on my four wheeler. I will probably be buying another one for the golf cart. And your right zx104u2nv, with all of the mud riding and off roading my four wheeler sees, I didn't want to put much money in it either. Same with the golf cart. I don't go on trail rides or anything with the golf cart, so I don't see me listening to it as much. $47 shipped to my front door for a stereo with aux, usb, sd reader, and remote? Plus it sounds pretty good. It seems to be a little cheaper built, but wont see much abuse by me.
NickS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 08:10 AM   #5
SaltLifeCC
Gone Wild

Looks good ZX. Did the same on mine as posted in your speaker thread. I didn't use double stick tape, just some screws just long enough to hold and so far it has been solid. Did you wire an antenna to it? We don't use the radio much but I still wanted a hidden antenna. I picked up one, pictured below, online, that is made to go inside the fairing on a motorcycle. It has adhesive tape on one side of it. I removed the front cowl on the cart and placed it up under there and then drilled a small hole through where the back of my radio is for the wire. It works pretty well.

SaltLifeCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 08:34 AM   #6
zx104u2nv
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

SaltlifeCC, yep I hooked up a similar antenna and just stuck it behind the radio mount kit and it seems to work good. I mostly used the double side tape to hold it in place while screwing it in and to give it a little extra hold in the back.
Old 06-30-2011, 08:57 AM   #7
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

looks pretty sweet , i didn,t read anywhere if you disconnected main power before doing the install? i hope so otherwise you got very very lucky that you didn,t fry anything.........i haver to assume you did....but if not in the future always make sure you disconnect main power........it can lead to disaster.........had a guy who didn,t cause he was only putting in a new light switch.......ended up junking the cart he did over 1200.00 in damage when the back of the keyswitch touched the dash frame and 5 seconds later to late.................but it looks sweet in there..............that may be my next project..................................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 10:36 AM   #8
SaltLifeCC
Gone Wild

Don't know about ZX but I disconnected main before wiring anything. Better safe than sorry.
Old 06-30-2011, 10:41 AM   #9
SaltLifeCC
Gone Wild

ZX - would you mind taking some measurements for where your radio is mounted from points under the dash? And tell me what kind of dash kit you have or where you got it from? Also, how far behind the lip of the dash is your radio? I'm trying to figure out if I can get a dash kit for mine that will open up to the right spot to access the radio.
Old 06-30-2011, 10:55 AM   #10
beamerbenzorbentley
Not Yet Wild

For the price and reason you're using it - it sounds great. Is that a marine radio?
beamerbenzorbentley is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car