lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-10-2011, 01:00 PM   #11
shmo
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: Which is BETTER?

There is no comparing these two suspensions. The long travel far outperforms the spindle lift on all terrains.

Personally, I feel the spindle lift would be more suitable for offroad only use. For primarily street use, I think tire wear and steering effort would be a concern. They work much better on dirt than they do on pavement. They do not steer or handle as well as a stock golf cart. With the added clearance for tires aside, the actual performance is a slight downgrade over stock.

The long travel is an honest, functional suspension, much like what you would find on a quad or even a car. It is not simply a "lift kit". It is a completely redesigned suspension. It will drive better and perform better than a stock cart. It also features lots of adjustability and tuneability. It is a major upgrade over stock.

The tradeoffs are simple. A long travel will improve the performance of the cart. A spindle lift is easier on the wallet. Ultimately, you will have to decide on which option fits your needs. Personally, I wasn't happy with my spindle lift. I opted to go long travel after initially installing a spindle lift on my cart. I will admit, I was very upset about putting the extra money into the long travel. It just seemed like a lot of dough for a stupid golf cart. Now that the dust has settled I couldn't be happier. A spindle lift would have taken a lot of my fun factor out over time, regardless of price.

Some other things to consider are:

A long travel will (or should IMO) have rear wheel spacers installed to balance out the track width from front to back. This is going to compound the added expense of the long travel itself. Be aware the difference in costs of the two lifts will be even greater than you would initially think. I used 3" spacers on my cart and they seem to be well matched to the much wider long travel front end.

In wet conditions a long travel will throw a lot of road spray, so you may be inclined to use wheel flares. While road spray is present on standard lift kits, it is to a much much lesser degree, almost not worth mentioning.

A long travel will be drastically less tippy feeling than a standard lift kit, partly due to being much wider and partly due to being an improved suspension design. If your cart will be upgraded for more speed this will provide you with a much more stable platform. On the flip side, a narrower cart will be able to get through narrow openings and terrains.

The Long travel turns sharper by design than the standard lift.

Spindle lift kits are MUCH more common. It is not necessarily a cheapskate option. Lots of very nice custom carts utilize spindle lifts, and the owners couldn't be happier. I thought this was important to mention.

Hope that helps,
SHMO
shmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-10-2011, 02:43 PM   #12
rxp-rider
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Which is BETTER?

The spindle lift will work great for what you plan on using it for. The long travel is more for off road but they do look tits..
rxp-rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha